Happy November 1st!!!
Did everyone have a good Halloween? I saw some very cute and totally creative Halloween costumes this year! What did you (or your kiddos) dress up as? I wanna know!
(On a side note: Does anyone else get excited to turn your calendar to the new month? I am, I guess you could say, slightly superstitious and refuse to flip my calendar to the new month until the actual first day of the new month…. Not a day before!)
Even though I have already been talking about Thanksgiving this week, now that it is officially November 1st (and officially t-minus 3 weeks until turkey day) I feel like I can talk turkey with more force and excitement!
Raise your hand (or better yet leave a comment), if some sort of green bean casserole graces your dinner table on Thanksgiving. We all know the ones I am talking about, green beans with some sort of cream sauce (either homemade or from a can of something soup) and French fried onions.
But I love this green bean salad I am sharing with you today! It is so fresh and new, yet features some of those favorite fall flavors we love!
From perfectly steamed green beans, to crunchy toasted walnuts, a sprinkle of chewy dried cranberries, tangy feta cheese and a simple vinaigrette; this green bean salad will hold its own as a firm and loveable replacement to that ‘old school’ green bean side dish.
This green bean salad is so hip and cool (and I can guarantee will have no leftovers), that you will want to make it all year long, not just for a particularly important November holiday!
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper, or to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a steamer basket and place trimmed green beans in basket. Steam green beans for about 4 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile heat a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast until they become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add to green beans. Stir in cranberries and feta.
- In another small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss the dressing with the green bean mixture and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.