This hearty Crock-Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili is packed with fall flavors and is the perfect dinner for a chilly autumn night!
In case you missed it September is over. October is here and the next few months are going to be a whirl. From various projects to birthdays, weddings and holidays… it’s that time of year. And despite the hectic days that come with the last few months of the year, I am determined to stop and smell the apple pie scented candles, sip some pumpkin spice lattes, frolic in colorful leaves, snuggle in fleece blankets (if the weather ever gets cool enough) and soak up every moment of this magical time of year.
Some of what makes this time of year so special is all the traditions.
I have even created some holiday traditions for Kitchen Concoctions! Every October I have a pumpkin and apple themed week and of course my absolute favorite, “Ghoulish Grub” week; a week of cutesy, spooky, tasty Halloween eats!
While I finish up working on all that ghoulish grub, I am bringing you pumpkin week!
This week will feature pumpkin in a variety of recipes, from sweet to savory, from dessert to dinner.
First up, Crock-Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili.
Yes, another thing I love about this time of year, is the fact that cooler temperatures mean warm, comforting meals; specifically lots of soups and chili! And this chili is just the beginning (and a perfect way to kick off chili season)! It is hearty and healthy; loaded two different white beans, lean ground turkey and nutrient packed pumpkin. Add a mix of spices and you have a flavorful chili that the whole family will love on a chilly fall day!
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (seeds and membranes removed for less spicy)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper, or to taste
- 1 15 oz can white great northern, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 7 oz can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- For Serving, optional, if desired:
- chopped cilantro
- chopped green onions
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add ground turkey and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes. Add to crock pot.
- Add remaining oil to saute pan. Add in onions and jalapeno; saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic and sauté for an additional 1 - 2 minutes. Add cooked vegetables to crock pot.
- To crock-pot add herbs and spices, beans, pumpkin puree, green chilies and broth. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust seasonings to taste, if needed. Serve topped with chopped cilantro, green onions, sour cream and tortilla chips, if desired.
Other recipes you might enjoy: