When I think of my dream home, yes, a professional kitchen, with a large walk in pantry, a large “farm” sink, big windows, with a skylight overhead and plenty of storage options, is at the top of my list. However, something I am always fantasying about is the large backyard my dream home would have.
Since I love to entertain, the perfect patio is very important to me. I dream of all the backyard barbecues we would host for friends and family. I dream of a large yard with plenty of shade for my pup. I dream of cute and functional patio furniture, that we would sit on as we enjoy our morning cup of joe and we listen to the birds chirp.
But mostly I dream of all the fruit trees we would have. Yes, plenty of fruit trees! Grapefruit trees, pear trees and trees filled with figs, plums and plenty of peaches, right there for the pickin’!
Yes, more than anything I wish and hope my future dream home has lots of room for fruit trees!
While my home right now lacks any sort of trees, I do have a few friends and family members who are blessed with various fruit bearing trees. And I am blessed that they are so generous with their fruit! 🙂
Several weeks ago, before the 100+ temperatures rolled in, a friend of ours called us over to give us some plump, juicy peaches right off their tree. Texas is known for their peaches, but due to the drought the last few years, peaches have been slim pickin’s. However, this year, with all the rain we have had, peach season has been the best it has ever been! And let me tell you, these little peaches, right from my friend’s yard, were THE best peaches I have ever eaten!!
While we ate most of them in their pure, natural glory, I didn’t want any of them to go to waist. So I threw some in smoothies and my morning oatmeal! This Peaches ‘n Cream Oatmeal is sweet and creamy (with just a hint of cinnamon); perfect on a warm and humid Texas summer morning!
- 1 cup milk (almond, coconut, soy, etc.)
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 small peach, deiced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons half and half cream
- 1 small peach, diced
- In a medium sized sauce pan, combine milk, water, oats, diced peach, ground cinnamon, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and oats are tender. Serve immediately topped with half and half cream and additional diced peaches.
- Note: Fresh peaches are ideal, but frozen or canned could also be used.
Note: Fresh peaches are ideal, but frozen or canned could also be used.