A sweet childhood treat with the flavors of a sophisticated dessert, these Key Lime Pie Rice Krispie Treats, are the perfect no bake dessert recipe for sharing with friends at a spring or summer picnic!
When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was grow up. I couldn’t wait to be out of my parent’s house, creating the life I wanted and doing whatever I wanted without having to be told what to do. Being a grown up, meant being able to drive all around in your own car, having your own house, traveling the world, doing what you wanted, when you wanted (like going to the movies or eating ice cream for dinner).
Little did I know that all that “freedom” came with so much responsibility. Like having a car and a house costs lots of money and to pay for said luxuries meant working hard and dealing with sometimes difficult decisions or life situations (like moving or unexpected bills). Oh and then there is all those appointments, and remembering deadlines, and the never ending chores.
Of course I would never want to go back and relive my teen or per-teen years, and I really can’t complain, as being an adult is pretty great! But, every so often, I wish I didn’t have to worry about so many things, or deal with things like errands and doing other tedious “grown up” things.
Ok, let’s face it, maybe I just need a break from it all and need a vacation! 🙂
Like to a beach where I can plant my toes in the sand and do… absolutely nothing! Yeah, since I’m an adult I have the power to do this, if I can pencil it into my busy schedule and oh yeah, pay for it. LOL! But a girl can dream, right?!
Luckily we were blessed to recently go on a beach vacation and when we got back, I went a little Key Lime Pie crazy, ordering it at local restaurants and making as many Key Lime Pie flavored desserts as I could, like this Key Lime Pie Green Smoothie. These Key Lime Pie Rice Krispie Treats were another Key Lime Pie treat that I concocted after our dreamy beach vacation. Not only have these treats become a favorite, reminding us of those magical days just lounging on the beach, they also remind me of those carefree days as a child. Not to mention these Key Lime Pie Rice Krispie Treats are absolutely amazing and are a perfect mash up of two beloved desserts!
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- 8 whole graham crackers, chopped and divided
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 6 key limes, juiced and zested (divided, see notes in recipe)
- 4 ounces white chocolate or vanilla almond bark
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together the crispy rice cereal and 5-6 chopped graham crackers, set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over low heat. Once butter has melted, stir in 8 cups marshmallows. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring constantly, until marshmallows and butter are fully melted together.
- Remove from heat and stir the lime zest and juice from 4 key limes (approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons juice and 2 teaspoons of zest) into melted marshmallow mixture. Stir cereal/graham cracker mixture and remaining 2 cups of marshmallows into melted marshmallows mixture, stirring until well combined. Note: It is ok if the additional 2 cups of marshmallows only partially melt.
- Using a rubber spatula, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, spread marshmallow covered cereal treats evenly into prepared 9×13-inch baking dish. Quickly press remaining chopped graham crackers onto the top of the prepared treats.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine white chocolate and oil. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove melted chocolate from microwave and stir. Return to microwave and microwave for an additional 30 seconds to continue melting, if needed. Stir the zest from 1-2 key limes (approximately 1 teaspoon of zest) into the white chocolate mixture. Drizzle melted white chocolate evenly over the top of the prepared cereal treats.
- Allow treats to sit for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before slicing into bars. Store cereal treats in an air tight container for 4-5 days.
Rice Krispies Treats Ice Cream
Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
Homemade Star Crunch