Everyone LOVES buffalo wings! These Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats are a healthier and fresher substitute that don’t lack on zesty buffalo flavor!
Being a food blogger and recipe developer means I have to be in the know with all the new food products, restaurants and food fads/trends. Yes, just like in fashion, home décor and beauty; the culinary world has a revolving door of food trends and fads; like the current fad zucchini boats!
To keep up with the times, I have contributed more than once to the food fad phenomenon. Even if I wasn’t obnoxiously crazy about each trend, I still jumped on board with bacon everything, mini desserts, hand pies and of course cupcakes! I mean, don’t get me wrong, all of these things are delicious, but the fact that there are bacon band-aides, cupcake covered clothing and restaurants that ONLY serve bite sized meals… well maybe that’s a bit much?
One food fad that seems to be up and coming is zucchini boats. Have you heard of them? They are hallowed out zucchini filled with just about anything; kind of like a stuffed bell pepper. I first started making them about a year or so ago and we have been OBSESSED with them ever since! I love them because they are so fresh and they are a lighter, healthier, low carb dinner option. Not to mention the filling can be easily changed up depending on what you are craving or what you have hanging out in your fridge.
Since summer and zucchini season is quickly approaching AND since we are all over this food fad like bacon on cupcakes, I thought I would start sharing some of our favorite zucchini boat recipes. These Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats are our absolute favorite stuffed zucchini concoction! Even though they are a healthier twist on the buffalo chicken wing, they don’t lack in flavor and totally satisfy that buffalo chicken craving!
What food fad are you obsessed with? Share in the comments below!
One Year Ago: Grilled Lamb Shoulder Chops with Mint Chimichurri
Two Years Ago: Beef Fajita Burgers with Creamy Avocado Ranch Spread
Three Years Ago: Crispy Tortilla Crusted Chicken
Four Years Ago: Slow Cooked Sirloin Steak
Five Years Ago: Mom’s Sugar Cookies with Butter Cream Frosting
Six Years Ago: Lemon Truffle Pie
Seven Years Ago: Fireman’s Special BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 6 medium zucchini
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2/3 cup buffalo wing sauce
- ½ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 green onions, chopped
- For serving:
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing
- Buffalo sauce
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and use a small spoon or melon baller to scoop out the center flesh of the zucchini, leaving the outer skin approximately 1/4-inch thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
- Boil zucchini halves for 1-2 minutes; remove from water and place zucchini cut size up on prepared baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, approximately 6-7 minutes. Add celery and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add grated carrot, garlic and chopped zucchini and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, salt and black pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove zucchini filling from heat. Using a spoon, fill each zucchini boat with approximately 1/4 cup buffalo chicken mixture, pressing mixture firmly into hollowed out zucchini. Bake filled zucchini boats for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Right before serving, top zucchini boats with blue cheese crumbles and green onions. Serve with additional buffalo wing sauce, blue cheese or ranch dressing, carrot and celery sticks.