Looking for the perfect summertime appetizer? Try this Mini Bacon-Corn Avocado Toast! Creamy mashed avocado on top of whole wheat crackers and finished off with some crispy bacon and fresh corn!
Lazy, chilled and relaxing have all been used to describe summer. However, for us, summer is probably our busiest time of year! I feel like we are always on the go during the summer months, from obligatory summer road trips, to taking part in the plethora of summer activities and events offered in my hometown… summer is all about fun!
In addition to being constantly on the go during the summer, we LOVE summer because we LOVE to entertain! We host regular get togethers year round, and just like we try to cram as many summer road trips and activities into our schedule as possible, summer is all about getting together with friends and family.
Whether it is a spur of the moment pool party, casual movie night or our annual 4th of July shindig; whatever the occasion, fun, late night conversations and life long memories are made!
Of course no summer party would be complete without a delicious spread of food! I have my favorite “go to” party foods with things I always keep on hand, like chips and salsa, veggie or fruit trays, cheese and crackers, or a secret stash of frozen cookie dough, that I can whip up on a moments notice. However, sometimes these “go tos” get old and I try to “think outside the box” come up with other ideas.
Since it is summer after all, snacks and appetizers featuring some of our favorite summertime eats is a must! Plump juicy corn is a summer staple (especially when I can get it local from some friends of mine who are farmers) and I have been OBSESSED with the corn and bacon flavor combination all summer, throwing this quick and easy “relish” on top of everything from salads to hot dogs and steaks!
So one Sunday afternoon, as we were preparing for friends to come over for our weekly get together to watch a popular cable TV show, I was trying to whip up some snacks with things we had on hand. I had a few packages of Dare Crackers in my pantry and was planning my old stand by, a block of cream cheese smothered in jalapeno jelly, but then I realized I had everything to make my new favorite, that bacon-corn relish; and so this Mini Bacon-Corn Avocado Toast was born.
If you are not an avocado toast fan, then I am sure you are sick of seeing it everywhere. Believe me, as much as I LOVE avocados, getting on board with avocado toast took some convincing. You see this Texas girl prefers her mashed avocados in guacamole form dished up with some tortilla chips. And I’ll admit, when I first tried avocado toast, I wasn’t that impressed; since the toast smothered with avocados got a bit soggy if you didn’t eat it fast enough.
BUT! Then I discovered crackers, like Dare Breton Original Crackers or Dare Cabaret Crackers, are like mini toast but crispier, and are perfect for dishing up avocado “toast”. These spur of the moment, just threw something together Mini Bacon-Corn Avocado “Toasts” were such a hit at our watching party that I have since made them for other summer gatherings and for afternoon snacks!
What is your go to party appetizer for summertime get togethers? Please share in the comments below!
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 1 ear of corn, kernels removed from the cob
- 2 large avocados
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon each Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) box Dare Breton Original Crackers or Dare Cabaret Crackers
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard bacon grease, leaving about ½ a tablespoon in the skillet.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add corn. Cook corn for 5-8 minutes, or until corn starts to turn golden brown. Remove corn from heat and stir in bacon. Season bacon-corn mixture with ¼ teaspoon salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the avocados in half. Twist the halves in opposite directions and pull apart. Remove the pits and scoop out the avocado flesh into a medium bowl. Mash the avocado with a large fork. Stir in lime juice and remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread mashed avocado onto crackers. Top avocado crackers with 1 tablespoon bacon-corn relish and a sprinkle of chili powder, if desired. Serve immediately.
This summer think outside the cracker box and take the Dare Cracker challenge: #DareToEntertain! For more recipe ideas and entertaining tips hop on over to the official Dare website and follow Dare Foods on Pinterest, or Breton Crackers on Twitter and Facebook.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.