Summer is prime time for fresh fruits and vegetables! Today I’ve partnered with Stubb’s Sauces and Marinades to bring you an irresistible summer dessert, Grilled Peach Sundaes with Sticky Sweet Caramel Sauce! It seems like every time I sit down to write a blog post the past few months, I am rambling on about my love for summer. But I just can’t help it! I. Love. Summer!
Over the past few months you have listened as I have rambled on and on about my love for this time of year. But the thing is I know I’m not the only one. It seems like everyone is more happy in the summertime (I mean besides the few complainants about the summer heat and humidity)- soaking up the sun and the livin’ is easy. Everyone excitedly awaits their summer vacation and then rambles on about all the fun they had. And if your summer vacation has come and gone, everyone eagerly anticipates the weekend for time spent by the pool and to fire up the grill.
I too, of course, love all of these things and more about the summer. One thing that I cannot get enough of, is summer produce. I am not ashamed to admit I stalk several of our local farmer’s markets each week, eager to see that week’s haul. And I’ll admit that I go out of my way to help my friends I know have gardens or fruit trees, so that I can reap the benefits of their blossoming yards.
Unfortunately, sometimes my eagerness gets the best of me, and I over purchase or my friends are over generous. Despite being able to work most of that farmer’s market bounty into every single meal plus snacks, at the end of the week I am still struggling to eat the last bit of fruit or veggies before they go bad.
I have gotten quite creative with using things up, loaded veggie omelets, fruit laden oatmeal and breakfast parfaits, and packing fruits and veggies into every course of dinner- from obnoxious “everything” salads, to making “Meatless Monday” a 2-3 night a week occurrence, and of course throwing them on the grill with all the meats!
Luckily here in Texas we can grill outdoors pretty much year round; but nothing is quite like grilling on a warm summer’s night and watching the sunset late into the evening. It is simply picture perfect.
Since grilling is so much a part of our summer lifestyle, and in an effort to save all that produce from the compost, all while not heating up the kitchen, everything from the appetizer to the dessert is cooked on the grill.
I’ve said before that I love using Stubb’s Sauces and Marinades to help make summertime grilling easier- so that I can spend more time socializing and less time fussing over dishes or dinner prep- but using them also frees me up so that I can whip up easy and delicious desserts.
This recipe, Grilled Peach Sundaes with Sticky Sweet Caramel Sauce, was born on a hot summer night when I wanted to serve dessert to friends at our weekly backyard cookout, needed to use up a plethora of fresh summer fruit and wanted something quick and easy but was still a show stopper.
These Grilled Peach Sundaes totally fit the bill and were an absolute hit! If you haven’t tried grilling fruit, you should! It is a super popular trend right now, especially grilled peaches, since it makes for an easy after dinner dessert, and caramelizes the natural juices and sugar in the fruit making it simply divine. You could keep things simple and serve the grilled fruit with just some whipped cream, but why not make this dessert over the top without much extra work.
Topping the grilled peaches with vanilla ice cream, toasted pecans, buttery cookies, and a robust, flavorful homemade caramel sauce; well THAT, my friends, is a dessert that screams summer! Oh, and that caramel sauce, well it has a hint of sweet smoky flavor from, get this, from Stubb’s Sticky Sweet Bar-B-Q Sauce. Its that secret ingredient that takes these grilled peach sundaes from average to AH-mazing and will have your friends wondering what makes this dessert so special.
- Sticky Sweet Caramel Sauce:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons Stubb's Sticky Sweet Bar-B-Q Sauce
- Grilled Peach Sundaes:
- 2 large fresh peaches halved and pit removed
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/3 cup pecans toasted
- 4 pecan shortbread or gingersnap cookies crumbled
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup prepared Sticky Sweet Caramel Sauce
- Homemade or store bought whipped cream as needed
- 4 fresh cherries
- For the Sticky Sweet Caramel Sauce: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in brown sugar and cook, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Whisking gently, stir in whipping cream. Simmer for 5-8 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Remove caramel sauce from heat and stir in bar-b-q sauce. Allow caramel sauce to cool slightly and serve as desired or cool completely and store a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Note: Refrigerated sauce can be reheated uncovered in 30 second increments in the microwave.
- For the Grilled Peach Sundaes: Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high heat and oil grill grates. Using a pastry brush, brush the cut sides of the peaches with melted butter.
- Place peaches cut side down on preheated grill. Grill peaches for 5-6 minutes or until flesh is slightly charred and peaches are tender.
- Remove peaches from grill and set aside to cool slightly. Top each peach with a large scoop of ice cream, a generous drizzle of prepared Sticky Sweet Caramel Sauce, 1-2 tablespoons toasted pecans, 1-2 tablespoons cookie crumbs, a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry. Serve immediately.
Note: Since Stubb’s sauces are naturally gluten free, to make these sundaes totally gluten free, omit the cookies or substitute with gluten free cookies.
Disclosure: I am in a working relationship with Stubb’s Sauces and Marinades. This Grilled Peach Sundaes with Sticky Sweet Caramel Sauce recipe was developed by me for Stubb’s and this blog post was written by me on behalf of Stubb’s. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Because of sponsors like Stubb’s I am able to continue to bring you all the content I feature here.