Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. AD #SpreadTheHeat #CollectiveBias
Summertime is a busy time of year and everyone is on the go! Stay fueled with these better for you No Bake Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Granola Bars!
There has been a joke floating around social media this summer about everyone’s kids having a normal meal and snack schedule during the school year, but once summer rolls around, kids are hungry all the time and constantly begging for snacks. I think this constant hunger boils down to lazy summer schedules or lack thereof.
However, for us, summer is actually our busy time of year. Summer is a busy time for work and we try our best to balance work with play, and try take advantage of the many fun, free (or cheap) summertime activities our hometown has to offer. From movies in the park, concerts in the park and the plentiful natural swimming holes that dot central Texas; plus, what’s summer without some sort of vacation; summer is all about the fun!
Even though summer can be busy, I love summer and all it’s many activities. I think this comes from when I was a kid/preteen/teen and summer was ALL about lazy days and summer adventures. Spending the day at the pool with my friends, riding our bikes around the neighborhood until the sun went down, and staying up WAY past our bed time at sleep overs was what summer was all about.
My friends and I where already living the lifestyle of #howisummer and #yolo and we lived up every minute and soaked up as much summer as possible. Spending all day at the pool or staying up late watching movies at a slumber party meant two things: fun and food!
A cooler filled with snacks and drinks were a top requirement for the pool and of course slumber parties. As a kid, this was PB&J sandwiches, graham crackers with peanut butter or marshmallow fluff and lots of fresh summer fruit… watermelon, strawberries and frozen grapes.
I guess it is safe to say that I have been chasing that #howisummer feeling all my adult life and still love those lazy days by the pool and am constantly looking for that summer adventure.
To curb that summertime hunger and keep kids and adults alike fueled to enjoy all those summer activities; snacks are essential. Recently I discovered Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Fruit Spreads, made from a simple and delightful combination: fruit and honey! These spreads are available in a variety of flavors, including Strawberry, Concord Grape, Triple Berry and Blueberry Lemon; and are delicious on toast for breakfast, a classic PB&J sandwich, poured over cream cheese and served with crackers for an easy appetizer, or turned in to a marinade for meat.
Since snacks are necessary to enjoying all that summer fun, when I saw the newest Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Fruit Spread flavor, Strawberry Jalapeno, while grocery shopping at Walmart, I immediately knew I would use it to make a tasty snack- these No Bake Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Granola Bars! Both kids and adults will love this better for you snack and unique flavor combination! The jalapeno flavor is mild yet adds a nice little pop of heat which is then balanced with naturally sweet strawberries and honey.
Make up a batch of these no bake granola bars and bring them on your next road trip, day at the pool or to send off with the kiddos as they head to summer camp!
What are your favorite snacks for road tripping or lazy days at the pool? Share in the comments below!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brown rice or fiber cereal
- ½ cup pepitas
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Strawberry Jalapeno Fruit Spread
- ½ cup sunflower seed or almond butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Line a 9x9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats, brown rice cereal, pepitas and almonds. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in fruit spread. Sunflower seed butter and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fruit spread and sunflower seed butter is melted and completely combined. Stir in oat and cereal mixture. Cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until oats are golden brown.
- Remove granola from heat and press into prepared baking dish. Allow granola to cool completely at room temperature. Once cooled to room temperature, cool completely in the refrigerator, for about an hour, before slicing into bars. Store granola bars to an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Grab a jar of the NEW! Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Strawberry Jalapeno Fruit Spread at Walmart and check out more delicious recipe ideas here. Don’t forget to take advantage of the current Ibotta offer and earn $1.00 off Smucker’s Fruit & Honey Fruit Spread!