Looking for a perfect side dish for a backyard barbecue or summer dinner party? Make this fresh Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Vinaigrette!
Awhile back I remember reading a blog post on How Sweet It Is for a side salad recipe. The title of the salad was Howsweeteats House Salad. The fact that Jessica declared that salad her own “house salad,” like at a restaurant, made me smile.
If you read the blog post, Jessica said that the salad she was declaring her “house salad” was the salad she made every single time she wanted a side salad for dinner and only wanted to use ingredients she already had on hand. So by default, her own house salad!
Today’s recipe, kinda by a fluke, has become OUR own house salad. At least our summertime house salad.
I started making this Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Vinaigrette back in late spring, right when fresh corn started to pile into the grocery store. At first I just used store bought red bell pepper and/or sun-dried tomato dressing; but then one day, I stopped by a grocery store near my house to quickly grab a few ingredients for dinner and they didn’t have ANY specialty dressings! Like ONLY ranch, Italian and thousand island. (No, seriously!)
So that’s when I started making my own Roasted Red Bell Pepper Vinaigrette and this salad became legendary… and unofficially officially our own house salad!
The thing I love about this salad is that it is SO simple (especially if you already have the dressing made or use store bought) and all of the salad mix-ins, corn, tomato and avocados, well, they are staples in our house all summer long!
Since we have at least another month or so of summer, you betcha I will continue making and devouring this simple summer salad right up until the calendar (or at least the interwebs) tell me summer is finally over.
Do you have a go to side dish recipe? Please share in the comments below!
- Corn Avocado and Tomato Salad:
- 1 ear of corn shucked
- 1 8-ounce package spring mix salad greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 large Haas avocado pitted and diced
- 3 tablespoons pepitas
- ¼ cup feta or cotija cheese
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 8-ounce jar roasted red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
- To make Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad: Cut kernels from ear of corn. Place corn kernels in a small bowl with 1-2 tablespoons water and microwave for 30-60 seconds.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together salad greens, steamed corn, tomatoes and desired amount (approximately 3-4 tablespoons) of prepared Roasted Red Bell Pepper Vinaigrette. Top salad with diced avocado, pepitas and cheese. Serve immediately.
- To make Roasted Red Bell Pepper Vinaigrette: Add all vinaigrette ingredients to a large blender or food processor. Blend on high speed until liquified and fully combined. Serve at once or store in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to one week.
Steaming the corn in the microwave helps soften the corn slightly. However, corn can be added to salad raw, if desired.
Store bought roasted red bell pepper or sun-dried tomato vinaigrette can be used instead of the homemade vinaigrette.
For vegan, omit cheese.
Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad recipe a Kitchen Concoctions original
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Vinaigrette recipe adapted from Epicurious