What is your traditional holiday meal? Maybe you always set out a buffet of appetizers -cheese balls and crackers, veggies and ranch dip, sausage balls…- for snacking on Christmas Eve.
Or maybe you have a traditional southern style Christmas Day dinner of a glazed ham or smoked turkey with garlic cheese grits or cheesy potatoes, green peas with mushrooms or green bean casserole, dinner rolls, fruit salad and an assortment of pie for dessert.
Or maybe you have a traditional Christmas Eve Italian seven fish dinner with seven classic Italian fish dishes, from linguine and clams, to mussels in marinara sauce, to shrimp scampi, fried calamari and lemon caper tilapia; with a side of garlic bread, green salad and tiramisu.
Or maybe you go all out and make lamb or a beef tenderloin, like this Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine Demi-Glace, with an elaborate spread of gourmet side dishes and a bottle of top shelf wine.
Not only is this Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine Demi-Glace super elegant and perfect for a special holiday dinner, it is actually really easy to make, which makes it even more perfect for Christmas Day when you want to spend more time playing and lounging than fussing in the kitchen.
- Roasted Beef Tenderloin:
- 1 (4-5 pound) beef tenderloin roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon each kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Red Wine Demi-Glace:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic,, minced
- 1 cup Merlot, Red Zinfandel or Malbec, (or red wine of choice)
- 1 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon each kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Remove beef tenderloin roast from refrigerator and trim away any excess silver skin. Let roast sit at room temperature for 15 minutes and then rub beef with 1 tablespoon oil and season all sides with salt, black pepper and fresh rosemary. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sear beef in skillet for 2-3 minutes per side. Place seared tenderloin in a large roasting pan. Place in preheated 475 degree oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the tenderloin registers 120-125 degrees F for rare/medium rare.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in the same skillet used to seared the beef. Add shallots and sauté over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Increase heat to high and add red wine to deglaze the skillet, scraping the bottom and sides of skillet.
- Cook red wine for 2-3 minutes before slowly stirring in the beef broth, balsamic vinegar, salt and black pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce has reduced by two thirds, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in remaining butter, stirring until melted.
- Once beef tenderloin has reached desired temperature, remove from oven and tent with foil. Allow meat to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve sliced beef tenderloin roast with warm red wine demi-glace.
Like this Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine Demi-Glace recipe? Then you’ll love these other beef recipes: