A few weekends ago, when we were visiting with some friends who have an infant, we were talking about how our Friday and Saturday nights look quite a bit different than when we all became friends almost 10 years ago. Not that having kids has to keep you from going out and doing things on the weekend, because not all of us in our group have kids just yet, but I guess just as you get older, “going out” every single weekend isn’t as appealing as it once was, and you find other ways to relax and have a good time.
Not only is “staying in” on the weekends more affordable, it is more convenient too. No worries about finding parking downtown or figuring out a ride. And at home, ours or our friends’, you can actually carry on a conversation without having to yell or worry about the whole wide world hearing your conversation with your best girlfriend, as you discuss health insurance and the best doctors; since, you know, at this stage in our life, that is what our conversations come down to.
Staying in also means not being at the mercy of the bar or restaurant and their limited offerings; and enjoying the drinks and snacks we prefer. It also means we can play card games, something we all love, and well for those in our group that have kids, put them down for bed, and still hang out.
My husband and I also like to spend the weekends at home just the two of us as well. Yup, getting into my pj’s snuggling up on the couch to read a book or watch a movie on a Friday night sounds way more appealing now more than ever. In fact, movie nights at home on Friday night have become “our thing” as of late!
We love rotating through our list of “must see movies” and I love coming up with new snacks, special treats and even entire themed dinners to go with our weekly movie night! Since popcorn is a must for movie night, we have enjoyed experimenting with different popcorn recipes, and today’s recipe, Sour Cream and Onion Popcorn, is a favorite.
I first made this Sour Cream and Onion Popcorn last year for an Oscar awards watch party and now add it to our movie night snack rotation. The sour cream and onion flavor is spot on and most of the ingredients are pantry staples.
If you like spending your weekends “in” as much as we do, then you’ll have to make this Sour Cream and Onion Popcorn for your next movie night at home or card night with friends!
Air popped popcorn with a favorite flavor combination, sour cream and onion.
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
- 3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place ¼ cup popcorn kernels in lunch size brown paper bag. Fold over the top of the brown bag twice to seal.
- Place brown bag flat side down in the microwave and microwave on high heat for 2 to 2 ½ minutes, or until popcorn smells buttery and you no longer hear the kernels popping. Allow popcorn to cool slightly in brown bag before opening and pouring into a large bowl.
- Repeating popcorn popping process with remaining ¼ cup popcorn kernels, adding the popped popcorn to the bowl.
- Drizzle popcorn with melted butter and toss to evenly coat. In small bowl, whisk together dill, buttermilk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour seasoning mixture over the popcorn and toss to coat. Serve immediately topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
*If you cannot find powdered buttermilk for this recipe, powdered milk can be used, however, additional salt may be needed since powdered milk is sweeter than buttermilk.
For this recipe, you need approximately 7-8 cups popped popcorn. One bag microwave popcorn is approximately 7 cups.
recipe adapted from Seriously Delish