Rice Krispie Treats are a favorite childhood dessert! These Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats are sticky, gooey and packed with chunks of peppermint bark. It is the perfect holiday recipe for holiday cookie trays or Christmas parties!
It is hard to believe that Christmas is just a few days away! Have you done all your shopping? Have you baked your heart out like me and made all the classic holiday recipes like Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge or Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats? Will you be traveling to visit friends and family?
I thought I was so prepared for the holidays this year, since my goal was to keep things low key, but some how the past two weeks have been incredibly busy. Maybe that’s because last minute I decided I was going to send out Christmas cards and pick up a few gifts, even though we said no gifts this years.
Or maybe it is because we had one holiday party this past weekend and then have multiple get togethers with various family starting tomorrow and lasting until Tuesday, but suddenly I feel overwhelmed with getting everything done.
Not to mention all the regular day to day stuff, like regular errands to the grocery store, appointments, etc. that have to be taken care of despite it being the holiday season. That’s why, even though we have been baking and doing all of our normal traditions like crazy, I’ve tried to keep things pretty simple. Enter these Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats. Rice Krispie Treats are probably the easiest dessert recipe out there. It’s no bake, perfect for warm climates or if you need your oven for something else, and can easily be transformed with additional flavors and mix ins.
I know we are just days away from Christmas, and you probably already have all your holiday treats made, BUT if you are looking for a quick last minute treat, you have to make these gooey, sticky peppermint bark filled Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats!
Helpful Tips and Information:
Cooking Tip: Fresh marshmallows and cereal makes the best Rice Krispie Treats! Don’t use already open and potently stale cereal or marshmallows or cereal and marshmallows that have been sitting in the pantry for more than a few weeks.
Gifting Suggestion: These Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats are great for wrapping and gifting to neighbors, friends and co-workers. Simply place 2-3 Rice Krispie Treats in a cellophane baggie and tie with ribbon!
If you guys like these Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats, then you’ll love these other holiday desserts and Rice Krispie Treat recipes:
Peppermint Cookie Truffles
Holiday Peppermint Cake
Peppermint Sugar Cookies
Gingerbread Oatmeal Eggnog Cookie Pies
Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats
Hope you all have a delightful Christmas holiday!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 cups fresh mini marshmallows, divided*
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup chopped peppermint bark**
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips or 1 (2-ounce) block chocolate almond bark
- ¼ cup white chocolate or 1 (2-ounce) block vanilla almond bark
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Cooking spray, as needed
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with generously with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over low heat. Spray a rubber spatula with cooking spray and once butter has melted, stir in 8 cups of marshmallows. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring constantly, until marshmallows and butter are fully melted together.
- Once marshmallows are melted stir in peppermint extract and salt and continue cooking for an additional 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir cereal and remaining 2 cups of marshmallows into melted marshmallow mixture, stirring until well combined. Note: It is ok if the additional 2 cups of marshmallows only partially melt.
- Using a rubber spatula, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, spread marshmallow covered cereal evenly into prepared 9×13-inch baking dish. Quickly press chopped peppermint bark onto the top of the prepared treats.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine dark chocolate and ½ teaspoon oil. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove melted chocolate from microwave and stir. Return to microwave and microwave for an additional 30 seconds to continue melting, if needed. Drizzle melted dark chocolate evenly over the top of the prepared cereal treats.
- In a separate small microwave safe bowl, combine white chocolate and remaining ½ teaspoon oil. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove melted chocolate from microwave and stir. Return to microwave and microwave for an additional 30 seconds to continue melting, if needed. Drizzle melted white chocolate evenly over the top of the prepared cereal treats.
- Allow treats to sit for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before slicing into bars. Store cereal treats in an air tight container for 4-5 days.
*Large marshmallows can be used, just cut or tear the marshmallows in half to help them melt faster.
**I used peppermint bark baking chips, but you could use store bought or homemade peppermint bark in this recipe.