Italian cream sodas are a super popular drink! Today I’m sharing my Raspberry Lime Italian Soda recipe featuring homemade raspberry syrup!
Grab this Raspberry Lime Italian Soda recipe below or PIN IT for later!
It’s hard to believe that summer is quickly coming to an end. I mean *technically* it’s still summer until September 22, but for many, myself included, summer ends when school is back in session.
And while I am normally all about welcoming fall, for all the pumpkin and apple things, the cooler temperatures and let’s not forget fun holidays, I’m not ready for this summer to end.
It’s not like we’ve done a ton of summery things this year, but this summer has been simply magical and I don’t want it to end. I want more lazy days cooped up in the house watching movies to escape the heat. I want more of the summer foods that are my absolute favorite of all the seasonal foods. And I most definitely want more time with friends and family hanging out and hosting backyard barbecues.
While we’ve been enjoying lots of seasonal summer foods, from peaches, to sweet corn to cherries, to other summer staples, like homemade three ingredient chocolate ice cream and Cajun Pork Burgers; this Raspberry Lime Italian Soda recipe has become the drink of the summer.
I first made this Italian cream soda late last spring when the weather was getting hotter and I was tired of plain ole water. Don’t get me wrong, water will always be my go to drink (I never have to worry about getting my eight glasses a day!), but sometimes you need to drink something with a little flavor.
Enter the Italian soda, or more specifically THIS Raspberry Lime Italian Soda recipe made with a fresh, homemade raspberry syrup!
So, what is Italian Soda?
An Italian soda is a soft drink made from carbonated or sparkling water and a flavored simple syrup. Many Italian soda recipes also have cream added to make an Italian cream soda. Italian sodas are a fun and flavorful drink the whole family can enjoy since they are non-alcoholic and caffeine free.
Italian Soda Syrups and Italian Soda Flavors:
Most Italian cream soda recipes use store bought syrups that you can get in a variety of flavors including hazelnut, mango, cherry, orange, strawberry, etc. While store bought flavored syrups, like Torani, are easy and convenient to use; I like to make my own homemade flavored syrups using fresh fruit.
Homemade Raspberry Syrup:
For today’s Italian cream soda recipe, Raspberry Lime Italian Soda, I made a homemade raspberry syrup using sugar, water and fresh or frozen raspberries. You could also substitute agave nectar or honey for the sugar.
Italian Soda Ingredients:
Like I mentioned above, Italian soda ingredients are flavored simple syrup, club soda or sparkling water and ice. Italian Cream Soda ingredients include the addition of half and half and garnishing with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
How To Make Italian Soda:
Making Italian sodas are SO easy! First make your flavored syrup by simmering fresh fruit, sugar and water. Strain your sauce through a wire mesh strainer and allow to cool. Then, fill a glass with ice, the cooled flavored syrup, carbonated water and half and half. Top with whipped cream and fresh fruit, if desired.
DIY Italian Soda Bar:
Setting up an Italian soda bar, by setting a variety of flavored syrups on a bar or table with cups, ice, cute paper straws, half and half, whipped cream and fresh fruit is a fun way to serve Italian sodas.
More drink recipes:
Even though summer is quickly coming to an end with the start of school, the days will still be long and hot for many more weeks. Beat the heat and cool off with this refreshing Raspberry Lime Italian Soda recipe, that would also be a tasty after school treat!
If you like this Raspberry Lime Italian Soda, then make sure and sign up for our newsletter and follow Kitchen Concoctions for more recipes and cooking tips!
- Homemade Raspberry Syrup:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Raspberry Lime Italian Soda Recipe:
- Ice, as needed
- 2 tablespoons homemade raspberry syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (from the wedge of one lime)
- 6 ounces club soda or sparkling water
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- Whipped cream, optional for serving
- Fresh raspberries, optional for serving
- Lime wedges, optional for serving
- To make homemade raspberry syrup: Stir together sugar, water and raspberries in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove syrup from heat and cool completely. Place a small wire mesh strainer over a small bowl. Pour cooled syrup into strainer and press through with the back of a spoon. Use homemade raspberry syrup immediately or store in a food storage container or glass jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To make Raspberry Lime Italian Soda: Fill drinking glass with ice. Add 2 tablespoons homemade raspberry syrup. Add the fresh lime juice and sparkling water. Top drink with 1 tablespoon half and half and garnish with whipped cream, fresh raspberries and a lime wedge; if desired.
Homemade raspberry syrup recipe makes enough for approximately 6 Italian sodas.