This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc. The opinions and text are all mine. #TurnUpSummer
Add a little tropical flair to your next backyard barbecue with these Hawaiian Hot Dogs! These sweet and tangy hot dogs with a grilled pineapple mango relish are super easy to make and are perfect for summer!
Check out the recipe for these Hawaiian Hot Dogs below or PIN IT for later!
I am so excited summer is here! This season brings so many of my favorite things, from all that delicious summer produce, to late night sunsets, lazy days at the pool and movies in the park; I definitely plan to take advantage of all that summer has to offer!
One summer past time that is high on our “favorites” list is inviting friends over every Sunday for a backyard barbecue. And to be honest, my husband and I LOVE to grill so much, that when the weather is perfect, we make the most of our backyard and fire up our grill several times a week! Our backyard truly is an extension of our home and we try to spend as much time as possible playing, cooking and dining outside, as we turn up the radio to our favorite country music station and watch the Texas sunset fill the sky with gorgeous pink, purple and burnt orange colors!
Celebrate summer with a backyard barbecue of your own! Hover over the photo above to click through to walmart.com to purchase everything you need for the perfect summertime dinner!
Since grilling is such a big part of our summer, I have a TON of grilling recipes here on Kitchen Concoctions. We will cook just about anything on our grill, from steaks and baby back ribs, to these grilled lamb chops and even dessert. But our most favorite things to cook on the grill are chicken, hot dogs, fruit and veggies! These items are so affordable, easy to make and the flavors of these foods are incredible with a little crispiness and smoky flavor that only a grill will provide!
To celebrate summer, for our most recent backyard barbecue, I picked up some Ball Park® Bunsize Length Angus Beef Franks, Ball Park® Brat Buns and Tyson® Trimmed & Ready® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Cutlets from Walmart. For this particular grilling session, we made Teriyaki Glazed Grilled Chicken and these Hawaiian Hot Dogs, complete with a grilled pineapple mango relish, for a tasty tropical inspired dinner!
I loved how easy and simple, yet fresh and flavorful this dinner was! While this hot dog recipe only has a handful of ingredients, grilling the pineapple, mango and onion really brings out the natural sweetness of these foods and complements the hot dog, which is basted in a sweet honey barbecue sauce, so well! Not only is this the perfect dinner for summer, but for a busy work week too!
To make clean up a breeze, I used Chinet® Classic White™ dinner plates, also available at Walmart, for serving. After years of hosting not only backyard barbecues, but birthday parties, holiday gatherings and Sunday supper, I know that premium strength Chinet® Classic White™ plates can handle any meal, at any get together! Using Chinet® Classic White™ plates for large or small gatherings allows us to focus on what really matters and why we love grilling so much, spending time together as a family!
I am looking forward to many, many more backyard barbecues all summer long and hope you are too! What are your favorite things to throw on the grill? Please share in the comments below!
HELPFUL TIPS AND INFORMATION:
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HAWAIIAN HOT DOGS:
Macaroni Salad is a popular side dish in Hawaii and would be great served with a Hawaiian Hot Dog! In addition to macaroni salad, I served these Hawaiian Hot Dogs with a chopped salad, but coleslaw or grilled veggies would also pair well with this hot dog recipe.
Grilled Hawaiian Hot Dogs Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Haden or Kent mangoes – These popular mango varieties are easy to grill due to their thick outer skin. Simply cut them in half (removing them from the center pit) and grill flesh side down. Once grilled, cut mango away from the skin for serving.
- Personal sized pineapple – I used a fresh pineapple that I cut into spears, but you could also buy pre-cut spears of pineapple from the produce department. I recommend using thick pineapple spears for grilling has they won’t fall apart as much.
- Red onion – I used a red onion in this recipe, since it tends to be sweeter, but any sweet onion will work.
- Canola oil – This is used to help prevent the fruit and onion from sticking to the grill. Corn oil, coconut oil or any oil that can handle high heat can be substituted.
- Ball Park® Bunsize Length Angus Beef Franks – We like using Ball Park® Hot Dogs because they have no by-products, fillers or artificial colors or flavors and are made with 100% beef. While we used the Ball Park® Bunsize Length Angus Beef Franks here, really any Ball Park® Hot Dog would work in this recipe!
- Honey barbecue sauce – Basting the hot dogs, fruit and veggies in a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce really ups the flavor of this recipe with very little effort. Teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce or a spicy barbecue sauce would also taste great!
- Ball Park® Brat Buns – Any Ball Park® Hot Dog Buns would work in this recipe, however the Ball Park® Brat Buns are a little bigger than the regular hot dog buns and therefore are able to hold more toppings! 😊
- 2 Haden or Kent mangoes
- 1 personal sized pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into large spears
- 1 medium sized red onion, peeled and cut horizontally
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (8 count) package Ball Park® Bunsize Length Angus Beef Franks
- 1/3 cup honey barbecue sauce
- For serving:
- 1 (8 count) package Ball Park® Brat Buns
- Chinet® Classic White™ Dinner Plates
- Honey barbecue sauce
- Fresh Cilantro
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350°F to 450°F).
Slice the mangoes into two pieces, removing from the pit. Score the flesh of the mangoes in a diamond pattern, taking care not to cut into the skin. Set the cut mango on a tray or baking sheet with the prepared pineapple and onions and brush with oil.
Place mango, pineapple, onion and Ball Park® Hot Dogs on preheated grill. Carefully baste hot dogs, fruit and onion with barbecue sauce and grill for 3-5 minutes.
Using tongs, carefully flip beef franks, fruit and onion over and baste with additional barbecue sauce. Grill for an additional 3-5 minutes or until everything is heated through and grill marks appear.
Remove everything from the grill. Allow pineapple, mango and onion to cool slightly and then carefully dice into bite sized pieces (removing mango from skin). In a small bowl, stir together diced pineapple, onion and mango to form relish.
To serve, open a Ball Park® Brat Bun and place it on a Chinet® Classic White™ Dinner Plate. Place a grilled beef frank in the bun and top with prepared pineapple mango relish. Drizzle the relish with additional barbecue sauce and top with fresh cilantro, if desired.
This summer, stock up on all your grilling needs at Walmart! Whether it’s America’s Favorite Bun, Ball Park® Hot Dog Buns, or Tyson® Trimmed & Ready® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Cutlets (with no antibiotics ever), Walmart has you covered! And if you are like us and love not only grilling but also country music, then you have to enter the Walmart Summer Grilling Sweepstakes! To enter for a chance to win a VIP concert experience with Cole Swindell simply:
- Purchase any 3 participating products
- Save your receipt
- Upload your receipt online and enter for a chance to win at turnupsummer.com!
Whether you shop in store or using online grocery pickup, you can enter the sweepstakes with your receipt!*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The Walmart Summer Grilling Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. & D.C., at least the legal age of majority in the state/territory in which they reside at the time of entry. Sweepstakes begins 12:00 a.m. ET 5/14/19 and ends 11:59 p.m. ET on 7/22/19. For a list of participating products and Official Rules, visit www.turnupsummer.com. Void where prohibited. Sponsor: Tyson Foods, Inc., 2200 W. Don Tyson Pkwy., Springdale, AR 72762.