This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FrenchsDippingSauces #CollectiveBias
Need a tasty dinner recipe the entire family will love? Try these crunchy Pretzel Crusted Fish Sticks and get nothing but smiles at the dinner table!
Growing up I was kind of a picky eater. I hated tomatoes, loathed mushrooms, turned my nose up at broccoli and only ate summer squash kicking and screaming.
However, as I grew older, and got interested in cooking and where our food comes from, I started to branch out and try new things. Eventually, many of the foods I thought I disliked, I learned to love when prepared different ways. Like, roasted broccoli is delicious! And, now I’ll take zucchini, and make loaded zucchini boats that are insanely good!
In addition to trying some of these foods that I thought I didn’t like prepared in a new or different way, I started trying them with different sauces and condiments. Yes, even to this day, give me any food that I can dip, dunk, submerge or slather in a delicious, finger-licking sauce and I am all for it! And I’m not talking just French fries (although, I will never pass those up!), but I’m talking just about any meat, veggie, starchy concoction and even fruit!
That’s why I was happy to recently discover new French’s® Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, on my favorite aisle, the condiment aisle, while doing one of my regular grocery shopping runs to HEB (y’all know I love my HEB! 😊)! These dipping sauces are a better for you dipping sauce as they have no artificial flavors, no colors from artificial sources and no high fructose corn syrup. They also come in three different flavors, French’s® Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, French’s® Sweet & Smoky Barbecue Mustard Dipping Sauce, and French’s® Sweet Buffalo Mustard Dipping Sauce. In fact, as soon as I saw them, all I could think about were the foods I could dip into these flavorful sauces! From carrot fries to zucchini chips, to grilled chicken kebabs, to these Pretzel Crusted Fish Sticks, to simply cucumbers and yes, even broccoli; there were so many things I knew could dip, dunk and dive into these better for you dipping sauces!
This recipe for Pretzel Crusted Fish Sticks was inspired by the French’s® Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, which is made with real honey. Pretzels and everything bagels are both foods I like to dip or slather in not only mustard, but honey. So, I thought I would take those two things and combine them to make a new and improved version of a popular “kids’ food” – fish sticks!
Not only will the ENTIRE family love making and eating these fish sticks, the whole family can have fun at the dinner table dipping and dunking their fish sticks into a tasty dipping sauce! Now that’s what I call a dinner time win!Helpful Tips and Information:
What to serve with Pretzel Crusted Fish Sticks?
I kept things pretty simple and served these homemade fish sticks with raw veggies (carrot sticks, broccoli florets, celery sticks), tater tots and a side salad. This made almost the entire meal finger food, which kids LOVE! Plus, just like the fish sticks, raw veggies and tater tots (or French fries) are great dipped in French’s® Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce! Additional side dish suggestions include rice or potato salad.
Everything Bagel Seasoning – I used my go to recipe for homemade everything bagel seasoning in this recipe, but you can also use store bought everything bagel seasoning or omit the seasoning and use everything bagel seasoned pretzels instead.
Cod – Cod is my number one choice for homemade fish sticks because it is a thicker and mild tasting white fish that holds up to breading and then dunking into dips once the fish is cooked. Cod is affordable and highly available. I’ve used both fresh and frozen cod (that has been completely thawed in the refrigerator) for this recipe. Other flaky white fish you could use instead of cod is bass, grouper, snapper or tilapia.
Gluten Free – To make gluten free fish sticks, use gluten free flour and gluten free pretzels.
What is your favorite food to dunk in a dipping sauce? Please share in the comments below!
- Olive oil cooking spray, as needed
- 2 cups mini pretzel twists
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1-pound cod fillets, cut into 1-inch thick by 2 ½ inch long strips
- French’s® Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, for serving
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Place a metal rack on a large baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Working in batches, place pretzels in a small food processor and pulse until crumbs are formed. (Note: You want some crumbs finer and some in larger pieces.) Transfer pretzel crumbs to a shallow bowl. Stir in everything bagel seasoning and set aside.
3. In another shallow bowl, stir together the black pepper and flour.
4. And in a third shallow bowl, whisk together eggs.
5. To coat the fish in the pretzel bread crumb coating, first, dip a fish stick in the flour, making sure to cover all sides. Shake off any excess flour and then dip the fish stick in the eggs. Allow any excess egg to drip off and then dip the fish stick in the pretzel crumbs. Place the pretzel coated fish stick on the prepared baking sheet and repeat the breading process with the remaining fish sticks.
6. Lightly spray the fish sticks with a little cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 400°F for 12-15 minutes or until crispy and the fish begins to flake easily with a fork.
7. Serve immediately with French’s® Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce.
*Note: Since the everything bagel seasoning and the pretzels both have salt, not much extra salt, if any, is needed for this recipe.
French’s® Dipping Sauces add bold flavor to anything you decided to pair with it. They come in three tasty flavors, French’s® Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, French’s® Sweet & Smoky Barbecue Mustard Dipping Sauce, and French’s® Sweet Buffalo Mustard Dipping Sauce (made with Frank’s® RedHot); and are now available in the condiment aisle of your local HEB! In fact, from now through 7/6/19 you can save $1 on 1 French’s Dipping Sauce using a HEB Digital coupon, as well as via coupon machine located in the aisle (coupon machine coupons valid through 7/14/19)!