This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeBetterCookies #CollectiveBias #ChocolateChipCookies #SweetMemories
Looking for the best chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe ever? Look no further than my perfect Chewy Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies!
If you have been reading this blog for any amount of time, then you know that one of my favorite childhood memories was baking with my Mom. We baked year-round, making banana bread, chocolate chip cookies, brownies and all kinds of treats for every single holiday. Baking was our holiday tradition. It was the thing we did on a Sunday afternoon. It was priceless time spent together.
My Mom was such an enthusiastic baker, that she became the official dessert maker for any family gathering and over the years, friends and neighbors have begged her for her “famous” recipes. And if you know me, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, as I love to bake, only lucky for you all, I share all my recipes for the whole world to see! 😊
Over the years, I have shared some of the tried and true recipes we grew up making and that I still make today. Recipes like these One Bowl Brownies (this is my go to recipe any time I want some brownies!!) or this One Bowl Chocolate Cake. And while my Mom’s Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe will always hold a special place in my heart, I haven’t made it too often the past few years because it yields a crispy chocolate chip cookie and my husband prefers a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie.
That’s why I was happy to learn awhile back that you can substitute Karo® Corn Syrup for granulated sugar in most cookie recipes and this baking trick makes the best chewy chocolate chip cookies! I can enthusiastically confirm that tweaking your basic cookie recipe to include Karo® Corn Syrup, not to be confused with high fructose corn syrup, does in fact result in soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies!
Not only am I happy to have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that my cooking loving husband gives two thumbs up, I am happy to have another recipe in my recipe box using Karo® Corn Syrup. You see, Karo® Corn Syrup has always been a staple in my pantry because many of the traditional Southern recipes I grew up eating and still enjoy today, like my Mom’s loaded pecan pie and my Grandmother’s divinity candy, use this 100 year old trusted brand.
And while the holiday season wouldn’t be complete without Mom’s pecan pie and my festive Scarecrow Treats, Karo® Corn Syrup has many uses in the kitchen year round, from this chocolate chip cookie recipe and this Sweet Heat Caramel Corn, to making homemade marshmallows!
Recently when whipping up a batch of these chewy chocolate chip cookies, I decided to change things up a bit. I swapped out the chocolate chips and used dark chocolate chunks and added a little fresh orange zest. If you have never had dark chocolate and orange together you are definitely missing out! It is one of my favorite flavor combinations and it took that chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe from fantastic to fabulous!
Oh, and in case you were wondering, my chocolate chip cookie loving husband absolutely adored this twist on a classic. In fact, he may have uttered the words “the best chocolate chunk cookie recipe ever” in between taking bites of these Chewy Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies!
Do you have a tried and true family recipe that uses Karo® Corn Syrup? If so, please share in the comments below!
Helpful Baking Tips and Information:
How to prevent cookies from spreading:
- Use room temperature butter, not melted or semi-melted butter (from trying to soften butter in the microwave). My recommended way to soften butter quickly is to remove the butter from the paper wrapper and place it on a plate or cutting board. Cut the stick of butter into cubes and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Bake only one pan of cookies at a time, making sure to place the cookie sheet on the middle rack in the oven.
- Don’t leave the second baking sheet on top of the oven when waiting for the first pan of cookies to bake. You want your baking sheets to be room temperature when you place your cookie dough on top.
Chewy Orange Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies:
- 2 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (about 3 medium sized oranges)
- 1/2 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups chopped dark chocolate*
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter and orange zest on medium-high speed until creamy. Add the brown sugar and Karo® Corn Syrup and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, beating until well incorporated.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients, a little at a time, to the butter mixture mixing just until combined.
5. Add the chopped chocolate, mixing just until combined. Over mixing the chocolate chunks will break up the chocolate even more.
6. Using a standard sized cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 8-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not over bake! Cool 1-2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Use any dark chocolate ranging from 52% cacao to 72% cacao,
or a combination of dark chocolate. More than 72% cacao starts to become too
For more delicious cookie recipes, check out Karo’s website or follow them on Facebook and Instagram!