This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CreateCozyComfort #CollectiveBias
Change up a classic comfort food with this easy and flavorful Southwest Chicken Noodle Soup recipe!
Some of my prized possessions are my family cookbooks and community cookbooks. You know the ones – the cookbooks that everyone and their Mom contributed their “best” recipe to and was sold to raise money for the school PTA or to send kids to church camp.
Interested in trying out Skinner® Extra Wide Egg Noodles? Hover over the photo above to click through for purchasing at Walmart and for a limited time, you can click here to earn on Ibotta at Walmart! Also, be sure to check out the social hub for more recipe ideas and to enter the sweepstakes* for a chance to win!
I LOVE these cookbooks because they not only provide me with the cherished recipes I grew up on, like my Great-grandmother’s glazed carrots or my Aunt’s chicken and dumplings, they are a unique look into history and the foods and recipes that shape a community.
One of the MANY things I love about living in Texas, is that our food is so heavily influenced from all the regions around us, as well as many early families that moved to our state and created the cities and towns that I call home today.
From Cajun crawfish boils, to all the Czech bakeries that dot Texas highways, to our deep love of Hatch green chiles and other Southwestern flavors from our neighbors to the west, and of course all the Tex-Mex and barbecue; Texas cuisine truly is the best!
My goal for Kitchen Concoctions has always been to share not only my family’s classic southern recipes, heavily influenced from generations living here in Texas and the surrounding states; but to share other tried and true southern dishes, as well as put my own Texas twist on classic recipes along the way!
Most Chicken Noodle Soup recipes have a base of carrots, celery, chicken, dill, parsley and of course noodles. However, I replace those basic ingredients with things commonly found in a Texas kitchen, like black beans, roasted green chiles, cilantro, chili powder, cumin and Skinner Extra Wide Egg Noodles that I stock up on at Walmart.
The end result is an easy, flavor packed, hearty soup that is perfect for a mild February day and totally worthy that elite spot in that treasured family cookbook!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6-10 cups low sodium chicken stock (see notes)
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 2 (4-ounce) cans fire roasted diced green chiles
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, diced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 (12-ounce) package Skinner® Extra Wide Egg Noodles
- 1 teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
- For Serving:
- Chopped cilantro, optional for garnish
- Fresh lime juice, optional for garnish
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5-8 minutes or until onions are translucent.
2. Add garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cook for 1-2 minutes to toast spices and soften garlic.
3. Stir in 6 cups chicken stock, corn, diced green chiles, red bell peppers, black beans, tomatoes and shredded chicken. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
4. Add noodles and cook for 6-7 minutes or until noodles are cooked to desired doneness.
5. Add salt and pepper, as needed. Serve immediately with garnished with cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
The noodles will absorb quite a bit of the cooking liquid as they cook, so additional broth may be needed.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-5 days, however, you will need to add additional broth to achieve a soup consistency.
What noodle dishes are your favorite? Skinner Extra Wide Egg Noddles are available in Texas and surrounding states and for a limited time, you can earn on any Skinner product at Walmart! Click here to earn on Ibotta! Also, be sure to follow Skinner on Facebook and Instagram and click here for more recipe ideas and to enter the sweepstakes* for a chance to win!*
* NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Riviana Cozy Comfort Dishes Sweepstakes begins 2/12/20 and ends 4/11/20. Legal resident of US. At least 18. Operated by Inmar Brand Solutions Inc. Official Rules at http://bit.ly/