This recipe for Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Take the classic chocolate cupcake up a notch with these indulgent Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes – chocolate cupcakes with a raspberry filling and raspberry cream cheese frosting!
Scroll down for the recipe for Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes or PIN IT for later!
“A party without cake is really just a meeting.” – Julia Child
Yes, cakes and cupcakes are the quintessential sign of a celebration. From weddings to graduation parties and of course birthdays, no special occasion would be complete without a slice of cake or a delightful cupcake!
Of course, you could just grab some store-bought cupcakes and call it a day, but why not take your go to chocolate cupcake to the next level by adding a raspberry filling and a Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting!
These chocolate cupcakes with raspberry filling have the most tender crumb and intense chocolate flavor. The raspberry filling not only adds a punch of flavor in every bite, but also helps keep the cupcakes soft and tender.
And the Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting, well it is out of this world!
Helpful Tips and Information:
What is the best chocolate cupcake recipe?
We have two chocolate cupcake recipes that we absolutely LOVE! For made from scratch chocolate cupcakes, and the cupcakes shown in these photos, the best recipe is this One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes. This egg free chocolate cake recipe, sometimes referred to as “Wacky Cake” or “Depression Cake” is so easy to make and has been our go to homemade chocolate cake/cupcake recipe for generations.
For the best chocolate cupcakes made from a cake mix, this recipe for Chocolate Fudge Cake is hands down our favorite.
And for the ultimate semi-homemade chocolate cupcake hack… in an absolute pinch, you can buy unfrosted cupcakes from most grocery store bakeries. Simply place an order for plain chocolate cupcakes and then use the raspberry jam filling and Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting to decorate.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcake Recipe: To make these Gluten Free Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes, use the One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes recipe and replace the all-purpose flour with equal amounts Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
Raspberry filling for chocolate cupcakes:
Many recipes for raspberry cake filling use fresh raspberries to make a homemade raspberry sauce. However, to save time and ingredients, we use a quality raspberry jam for our raspberry filling for chocolate cupcakes.
We prefer to use our homemade raspberry jam, but also love this premium raspberry jam from the store.
How do you make raspberry frosting from scratch?
Over the years we have made a lot of flavored frosting recipes. One time saving trick we have learned when making fruit flavored frostings is to use quality jam or preserves instead of fresh or frozen fruit.
This is due to the fact that fruit contains a lot of water and if you try to mix fresh or thawed frozen fruit into the other frosting ingredients, then your cream cheese frosting or buttercream frosting may “break” or look curdled. To prevent the frosting from curdling, you would need to cook down the fruit and let it cool before adding it to your frosting.
However, since jam uses fruit that has already been cooked down into a “gel” it will incorporate perfectly into a frosting and saves a lot of time from you cooking it down yourself.
With that being said, if you would like to make our Raspberry Buttercream Frosting recipe using fresh raspberries, please see our recipe for Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes, where we make blueberry frosting from scratch using fresh blueberries and a stovetop cooking method to create a blueberry sauce that then gets stirred into the frosting. This same method would work if you would like to use fresh raspberries to make this Raspberry Frosting.
DO CUPCAKES WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
Yes, you should always refrigerate cupcakes, cakes, or cookies decorated with cream cheese frosting. To serve, simply take the cookies, cake, cupcakes, etc. out of the refrigerator 30-60 minutes before serving to allow the cupcakes to come to room temperature, if desired. Personally, I don’t mind these cupcakes served chilled!
If you like these Raspberry Filled Chocolate Cupcakes, then you will love these other chocolate cake recipes:
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes – Mint chocolate chip is a popular dessert flavor combination! These show stopping Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes are easy to make and have maximum mint chocolate flavor.
Hot Cocoa Cupcakes – Looking for the perfect holiday dessert recipe? Try these fun, festive and super easy Hot Cocoa Cupcakes with marshmallow frosting!
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Orange Whipped Cream – Rich and velvety chocolate cake with fluffy orange scented whipped cream and candied orange peel.
- Raspberry Filled Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 24 chocolate cupcakes (see notes)*
- ½ - 1 cup raspberry jam
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature**
- 2-3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (6-ounce) container fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Raspberry Filled Chocolate Cupcakes: Prepare cupcakes according to recipe directions. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, fill a piping bag with a large round piping tip. Fill piping bag with raspberry jam.
- Insert piping tip into the center of the cupcake. Gently squeeze about 1-2 teaspoons of jam into the cupcake. Set aside and repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- For Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed, for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
- Add raspberry jam (adjust the amount depending on how dark/flavorful you want your frosting to be) and beat until combined.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar, a little at a time, until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Add additional raspberry jam or powdered sugar, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
- Fill a separate piping bag with desired piping tip and prepared frosting. Pipe frosting onto filled cupcakes, covering the jam filling. Garnish with2-3 fresh raspberries and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.
*For made from scratch chocolate cupcakes, use this One Bowl Chocolate Cupcake recipe.
For chocolate cupcakes made from a cake mix, use this Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe.
**Check out this tutorial on how to soften butter quickly!
*PLEASE SEE THE "HELPFUL TIPS AND INFORMATION" SECTION ABOVE FOR ADDITIONAL RECIPE NOTES.