This post has been compensated by El Yucateco. All opinions are mine alone. Because of sponsors like El Yucateco, we are able to continue to bring you all the content we feature here.
Fire up the grill and make this easy, mouthwatering dinner recipe for Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas.
Scroll down for the Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadilla recipe, or PIN IT for later!
Grilling is often known as a summertime activity; however, we firmly believe that fall is prime grilling season.
Whether we are firing up the grill to make some game day appetizers, or simply getting out and enjoying the much-needed cooler fall temperatures, around here, it’s grilling season!
Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas
Chicken is probably the thing we throw on the grill the most. This is because not only is chicken so affordable, grilling chicken really adds a punch of flavor, thus yielding a versatile protein that can be eaten alone, or added to so many dishes.
For today’s dinner recipe, we took basic grilled chicken and transformed it into these flavorful, loaded Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas.
We started simply by seasoning lean chicken breasts with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Then, after grilling to perfection, we basted the chicken on both sides with El Yucateco’s new Grilled Pineapple and Habanero Hot Sauce.
El Yucateco was founded in 1968 by Mr. Priamo J. Gamboa O. in Yucatan, Mexico. It is the #1 habanero sauce in the US and ranks in the top 10 of all hot sauces sold in the US.
Personally, we love cooking with El Yucateco Hot Sauces because while they do add a little heat to our favorite recipes, El Yucateco Hot Sauces actually have flavor!
Yes, El Yucateco Hot Sauces are PACKED with so much flavor, and thus the reason why we didn’t need any fancy marinades or spice rubs to season our grilled chicken, simply El Yucateco’s new Grilled Pineapple and Habanero Hot Sauce, which is a fruity explosion of flavor that is both sweet and spicy.
In fact, El Yucateco recently upped their hot sauce portfolio and is launching six new flavors this year! Currently, these new flavors are available online and is the first time since 2016 that they have introduced any new flavors to their product line.
In addition to their seven classic flavors, El Yucateco’s new flavors include:
- Grilled Pineapple & Habanero Hot Sauce
- Coffee & Habanero Hot Sauce
- Ghost Pepper & Habanero Hot Sauce
- Red Marisquera Hot Sauce
- Black Marisquera Hot Sauce
- Chiltepin & Habanero Hot Sauce
After basting our grilled chicken with El Yucateco Grilled Pineapple and Habanero Hot Sauce, we grilled up some bell peppers, red onion and fresh, juicy pineapple to use in our quesadillas. Grilling the peppers, onion and pineapple added a nice caramelization to these ingredients, intensifying their flavors.
To make this recipe as easy as possible, and cut down on the number of dishes we used, we also cooked the quesadillas right on the grill. This helped achieve the most gooey and crispy quesadilla we’ve ever had!
These cheesy Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas are such a delightful twist on a classic recipe. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy dinner or crowd-pleasing football appetizer, this sweet and saucy quesadilla recipe is sure to be a winner!
Helpful Tips and Information:
What to serve with this chicken quesadilla recipe:
We created a Pineapple Habanero Crema to serve with these quesadillas; which is a great balance of sweet, spicy, cool and tangy. You could also serve these quesadillas with classic guacamole or a pineapple mango guacamole.
Are quesadillas cooked in oil or butter?
Since we cook this grilled chicken quesadilla recipe right on the grill, no additional oil or butter is needed.
Are quesadillas better with flour or corn tortillas?
We highly recommend flour tortillas for quesadillas. Flour tortillas are sturdier and hold their shape better than corn tortillas, making them easier for holding and cooking the quesadilla fillings.
If you liked these Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas, then you’ll love these other dinner recipes:
Mahi Mahi Tacos with Pineapple Mango Salsa – Change up your weekly taco night routine with this refreshing tropical inspired recipe for Mahi Mahi Tacos with Pineapple Mango Salsa!
Smoky Chicken Tortilla Soup – Soup season won’t be here for long and this Smoky Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, with a flavorful blend of spices, is a warm and comforting Tex-Mex favorite.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small green bell pepper
- ½ small red onion
- 1 small fresh pineapple, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup El Yucateco Grilled Pineapple and Habanero Hot Sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package Monterey jack cheese, freshly grated
- 8 flour tortillas
- Pineapple Habanero Crema:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons El Yucateco Grilled Pineapple and Habanero Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat and lightly oil an outdoor or indoor grill pan to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut horizontally into each chicken breast, making sure to cut all the way through to create four chicken cutlets.
- Drizzle each chicken cutlet on both sides with approximately 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season chicken cutlets on both sides with salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Drizzle bell pepper, red onion and pineapple spears with remaining oil. Season bell pepper and red onion with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Once the grill is ready, place the chicken breasts, bell pepper, onion and pineapple on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, closing the grill in between flipping.
- Meanwhile, brush the El Yucateco Grilled Pineapple and Habanero Hot Sauce over the top side of each chicken breast and grill for another 1-2 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and brush the other side with the remaining hot sauce. Grill another 1-2 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F.
- Remove everything from the grill and set aside to cool slightly.
- Once the food is cool enough to handle, remove stem and seeds from bell pepper. Dice chicken, pineapple, bell pepper and onion into bite sized pieces.
- To assemble the quesadilla, lay a tortilla flat on a baking sheet. Top tortilla with approximately ¼ cup of grated cheese. Top cheese evenly with desired amount of chicken, bell pepper, onion and pineapple.
- Lay another tortilla flat on the baking sheet and top with ¼ cup of cheese.
- Transfer both tortillas to the warm grill, carefully placing tortillas on the grill with the toppings facing up. Grill for 1-2 minutes, then use a metal spatula to flip the cheese topped tortilla on top of the tortilla with the chicken, making sure the cheese is facing down. Press down slightly on the quesadilla and then transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Allow the quesadilla to cool slightly then cut into wedges. Serve topped with Pineapple Habanero Crema, guacamole or additional El Yucateco Grilled Pineapple and Habanero Hot Sauce.
- To make Pineapple Habanero Crema: In a small bowl whisk together sour cream, El Yucateco Grilled Pineapple and Habanero Hot Sauce and milk, whisking until combined. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
All text and images © Kitchen Concoctions. Please do not use any images without prior written consent. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and/or link back to this post for the full original recipe.