One thing that I wanted to do for the new year (before we get to far into it) is
jot down type up my goals for Kitchen Concoctions for the year 2011 and BEYOND(sorry I am channeling my inner Buzz Lightyear).
I have said it before and I will say it again, I love to write lists. They keep me organized and on track. So I thought what better way to keep me focused (and to keep you all in the loop) I would share my plans, or New Year’s
resolutions goals, if you will, with all of you. Public resolutions goals keep you accountable… right?
• Cookbook of the Month Series: I love this part of my blog. It challenges me and makes me actually use the over abundance of cookbooks that
clutter line my bookshelves. However, my little recipe hoarding collecting problem isn’t just limited to cookbooks. You see I love good cooking magazines too! AND I have had many a subscription over the years. But to make sure my house stays clean (God bless those people who ARE hoarders and need professional help) I carefully pick a handful of recipes from each magazine clip them and then file them away into my trusty blue binder. My double HEART my blue binder. It is a gold mine for recipes but yet it gets over looked a lot. So I decided this year to change my CBOM series and feature a new food MAGAZINE each month. Similar to my CBOM series I will review a new magazine each month and tell you all the good the bad and the u-g-l-y (you ain’t got no alibi). On the WEEKS (one week each month of course) I feature the MOM (magazine of the month) I will feature 5 recipes; some from current editions of that magazine and others from past editions, like from 1996 (when I first started reading my Mom’s Family Circle).
• Restaurant Reviews: Now I know what you are thinking this is a cooking blog; and yes I love to cook but really who doesn’t love to eat out every now and again. I have done restaurant reviews in the past but they have not been consistent. I am going to work a better ‘reviewing scale’ to give my most informed opinion possible. And I am working on getting over my fear of taking pictures of food in public places so that these reviews can be more picture friendly!
• ‘Week of…’ Series: This is something I started in the middle of last year. I did a week of recipes to say so long to summer and a week’s worth of cute Halloween recipes and even what to do with all those turkey leftovers. I had so much fun and loved the challenge of creating/finding recipes that tied to a theme that I what to keep it going. So at least once a month I will have one whole week that all the recipes will be dedicated or inspired by a particular theme/ingredient/cooking technique.
• My Food 101: When I was in 6th grade I remember reading about a lady who wrote down her list of 100 things she wanted to do in her life time (a Bucket List of sorts) and then created a scrapbook of the events as she accomplished them. I LOVED the idea. So that very day I started writing my own list. Over the years things have been accomplished and things removed as I have matured but the list still goes on. Then one day I realized that a good portion of my list consisted of food related goals… so then I started a new list, one just for my food 101. My goal for 2011 is to finally type this list up, and make it public (again the whole accountability thing). But what makes it fun now is that I have a blog to document my adventures in accomplishing my food 101!!!
• Tips/How-To/Fun Facts: This is something that I wanted to do ever since I started blogging. Have posts/articles that share cooking tips and step-by-step photo how-to demonstrations of common cooking techniques such as how to make a roux, cut a pineapple, make a cookie bouquet, etc. Also I wanted to start sharing fun facts/information about food, ingredients, food topics, etc (this will tie in great with the Week of series).
• Guest Bloggers and Interviews: I hope to start bringing you some blog posts written by other bloggers (guest bloggers) and do interviews/features of some of my favorite blogs. I started to do this a while back and had fun with it but for some reason did not do a good job of keeping it going. So I am excited to bring it back.
• Friday Favs: This is where I will re-feature some of my favorite recipes that I have already shared but with updated photos, tips, and so forth.
• Update/Revamp/Add to the blog: I have been working on updating/remodeling Kitchen Concoctions for quite sometime. There are several things I am working on to make this site more user friendly and accessible. Some things I am working on are the overall layout and design of Kitchen Concoctions, creating a recipe index which will have all of the recipes I have featured alphabetically listed by category (drinks, main dish chicken, breakfast, etc), creating a list of all the cookbooks/magazines and restaurants I have reviewed and links to the review, cleaning up my side bars, and creating a link of other places I have been featured.
• Attend more food/blogger events and go on “foodie field trips” and document them.
• And last but not least I hope to have even more giveaways this year than I had last year!
WOW!!!! That was a lot of rambling and more for my sake than yours but I hope you enjoyed hearing about the things I have in the works for Kitchen Concoctions and I hope you will help me stay on track!
I would love to hear your input! What do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Is there anything you would like to see here on Kitchen Concoctions?