These Saucy Sweet and Sour Meatballs are an updated version of a classic quick and easy meatball recipe. They are great served as a party appetizer or can be served over rice with steamed vegetables for an easy dinner recipe.
These Saucy Sweet and Sour Meatballs are an updated version of a classic recipe. They are great served as an appetizer or can be served over rice for a main dish.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg, whisked
- ¼ cup quick oats
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon beef seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients for meatballs, except for canola oil. Mix meatball mixture until well combined. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, shape ground meat mixture into meatballs. Place formed meatballs on a baking sheet or plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, brown meatballs, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove cooked meatballs from pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining meatballs until all are meatballs are cooked.
- While meatballs are cooking, prepare Sweet and Sour Sauce by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- After browning meatballs, place meatballs in a large pot. Cover with prepared Sweet and Sour Sauce. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened.
- Serve as desired.
Crock-pot version: Prepare meatballs and sauce as directed. Once meatballs are browned, place in a large crock-pot. Cover with prepared Sweet and Sour Sauce. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.