Fall is the most magical time of year! Grab your loved one and celebrate all things fall with these awesome Fall Date Ideas!
When was the last time you went on a date with your spouse or significant other? If you have children, and even if you don’t, having an official date night can be hard with all that you have going on. But! I am a firm believer in having a set date night (or day!) and spending quality time, distraction free (yes, no electronics), with your spouse at least once a week.
With fall right around the corner and since it is such a magical time of year, I decided to come up with a list of autumn inspired cheap date night ideas and date night at home ideas.
Our favorite fall date ideas are basically traditions or activities we look forward to every fall that also make great date nights! The best part is that these are a mix of date ideas and include cheap date night ideas, romantic date night ideas and date night ideas at home.
What are your favorite fall date ideas or traditions? Check out my list below and share your ideas in the comments!
25 Fall Date Ideas:
1. Visit the pumpkin patch – Take a scenic drive out to a farm in the country or stay local and visit a pumpkin patch in the city.
2. Go to a football game
3. Cozy up with breakfast in bed
4. Stay in and play board games – Board games are often thought of as a group activity, but there are lots of board and card games that just two people can play. Make some coffee and a special treat and get cozy on a flannel blanket in front on the fire and have some good ole’ fashioned fun playing board games! Bonus this is a great date night at home idea for when the kids are in bed!
5. Build a bonfire and make s’mores – We love our backyard fire pit and I love setting up an elaborate s’mores bar for parties and get togethers. However, for date night I serve a smaller scale s’mores bar with a few fall twists – gingersnap cookies or cinnamon graham crackers, maple marshmallows and caramel chocolate candies!
No fire pit? No problem! Get creative and roast mallows over the grill, gas stove top or in the microwave.
6. Go on a hike
7. Visit the farmers market and then cook dinner together with the fresh fall produce – This is one of my most favorite date night ideas, or actually, favorite things to do in general! I love visiting one of our many farmers markets without a shopping list or anything planned, and just grabbing what looks the best and trying to think up a delicious meal to prepare.
For a fun date night idea, we challenge ourselves to use just the fresh produce (or other ingredients from the market, like eggs, homemade pasta or fresh bread) and basic pantry staples to create a beautiful meal together.
For fall, a fresh fall salad, a hearty pasta dish, filling soup or potato hash would be great date night dinner ideas. Pro tip: If you’re not that creative or confident in the kitchen, ask the farmer for tips and suggestions on how to cook the produce or what spices and fresh herbs go with it.
8. Take a scenic drive to see the fall leaves – Taking little (and big!) road trips not only gives us the opportunity to explore the world around us, it gives us a chance to talk to each other. The fall is the perfect time of year for a weekend road trip, quick scenic drive or trip out to a pumpkin patch; and this is something we always enjoy. It’s even become customary for me to make a fall themed trail mix and some coffee spiked with a little homemade pumpkin spice coffee creamer to bring on our road trip adventure.
9. Go camping – Whether you go traditional camping – pitching the tent, sleeping in sleeping bags, going without electricity… the works; or if glamping, staying in a yurt, RV, cabin, etc. is more your style, camping is a great way to connect with your significant other!
Whether you head to your local state park or pitch a tent in your backyard, a night or weekend being out under the stars and breathing fresh mountain air, is fun and a great way to disconnect from all of life’s responsibilities!
10. Pick apples
11. Relax and have a scary movie marathon – This is the perfect date night for October! Making a fun Halloween recipe and then staying up way to late watching scary, and sometimes a little silly, Halloween movies, is not only a cheap date night idea, it’s a great at home date for when the kids are in bed!
12. Volunteer at a local food bank or soup kitchen – While we try to volunteer and give back to our community all year long, this time of year especially reminds us to get out there and help our neighbors in need. Food banks and soup kitchens in particular need extra help this time of year and are not only a great way to help your community, volunteering there is fun and rewarding!
13. Go to a chili cook-off or host your own –Chili cook-offs are such a fall thing to do! Check out the local community center or do a quick internet search to see if there is one happening in your area.
If not, host your own chili “cook-off” and invite other couples over for a fun group date! Ask each couple to bring their best chili recipe and chili fixin’s and enjoy each other’s creation and good company!
14. Get spooked at a haunted house
15. Go to a thrift store and pick out Halloween costumes – We love carefully planning couples costumes each year! Ours are usually handmade and take weeks of planning and then a day of fun putting everything together.
A fun twist would be to go to the thrift store with a set dollar amount in hand and put together each other’s custom with just what you find from the thrift store!
16. Make caramel apples or have a caramel apple taste test by trying different store bought flavors.
17. Carve pumpkins – Carving pumpkins is a fun fall tradition and easy at home date night idea.
18. Have a picnic
19. Sip coffee and watch a fall sunset – As simple as this is, this is a fantastic date night idea! Sitting on the porch sipping coffee, feeling a fall breeze blow through your hair and having uninterrupted conversation with your significant other, all while watching the sunrise or sunset is pure magic. If you only have time for a 30-minute date, make THIS simple date idea a part of your regular routine!
20. Go on a guided ghost tour
21. Get lost in a corn maze
22. Attend a fall festival, carnival or outdoor concert
23. Build a blanket fort and tell ghost stories – You are never too old to build a blanket fort in your living room! Grab some flashlights, pop some popcorn and check out some “scary” kids’ books from the library and read them to each other. This fun and cheap date night idea will be one you remember for years to come!
24. Go on a hayride
25. Go star gazing
Ready to celebrate all things fall with your significant other? Print out the Fall Date Night Ideas list and start having some fun!