Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #MorningStarFarms #MakeRoomOnYourGrill
Football season is here! Get tailgate ready with this fan favorite – Buffalo Blue Cheese Veggie Burger with Crispy Fried Onions!
Grab the recipe below for Buffalo Blue Cheese Veggie Burger with Crispy Fried Onions or PIN IT for later!
Living in Texas the start of a new school year and hints of fall in the air means only one thing, FOOTBALL! Yes, living in Texas means whether you like it or not, football monopolizes most conversations and day to day activities from August until early February.
Luckily, being a Texan with deep southern roots, I’ve spent most of my life surrounded by football fanatics and have learned to love the game. In fact, some of my best memories growing up were attending football games with friends and family. The excitement and energy that pours out of a stadium, from a tiny rural high school to a major league team, is contagious and can make a football fan out of anyone!
Unfortunately, we haven’t made it to a football game in a couple of years, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t watching and celebrating this beloved season. We love getting together with friends and family to tailgate, even if it’s just at home, and watch the game. And for anyone that knows me, in real life or via this blog, you know that means we have a winning spread of football food!
I will always love classic football party food, like pizza, chicken wings and all those chips and dips; but several of my friends and family members are vegan and vegetarian. So whether I’m hosting a football tailgate or some other dinner party or holiday get together; I always try to have at least one vegetarian main dish, or enough vegetarian sides and appetizers on hand, to serve my vegetarian guests.
That’s why I was ecstatic to discover the new MorningStar® Farms Meat Lovers Burger and MorningStar® Farms Veggie Lovers Burger recently while picking up groceries and other tailgating supplies at Walmart. Not only are these quarter pound vegan burgers bigger and fill your bun with more plant-based protein and tasty veggies, leaving you more satisfied; they are made with no artificial ingredients, colors or flavors and are made with non-GMO soy. In fact, the Meat Lovers Burger has a “beef-like” taste and texture that we love and packs 27 grams of positive Plant Based Protein in each burger patty.
And even though we are not a vegetarian household, we do try to Meatless Monday and eat “meat free” several times a week to add variety to our diet. MorningStar Farms® is our go to veggie burger brand because they are a quick and easy to make meal option. I like keeping some in my freezer for lunch or dinner on busy days! Plus, I feel good knowing that the Veggie Lovers Burger, is a better for you burger packed with 12 different veggies, 2 seeds and 2 grains, plus 10 grams of Plant Based Protein.
For our most recent football “homegate,” I decided to serve a burger bar. We busted out our grill and grilled up a ton of burgers including those MorningStar® Farms Meat Lovers Burgers and MorningStar® Farms Veggie Lovers Burgers. Everyone loves a good burger, but setting up a burger bar, with various tasty toppings is always a hit.
In addition to setting up a burger bar with typical burger toppings, like lettuce, tomato, and cheddar cheese, I created a signature burger. This Buffalo Blue Cheese Veggie Burger with Crispy Fried Onions; is inspired by some of my favorite football foods, chicken wings and restaurant style crispy fried onions. And while I chose to top my veggie burger with this fried onion recipe, you could totally just serve them up as a side dish or appetizer!
Do you host tailgates or football watch parties at home? If so, what are your favorite football party recipes?
- For Fried Onions:
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or club soda
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Canola oil, for deep frying
- Kosher salt, for topping
- For Buffalo Blue Cheese Veggie Burgers:
- MorningStar® Farms Meat Lovers Burgers, 4ct Value Pack
- 4 onion burger buns, grilled, if desired
- ½ cup buffalo hot sauce
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Fried onions, as desired
To prepare crispy fried onions: In a bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, buttermilk, egg, baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt to form batter. In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ½ cup flour, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne powder.
- Separate onion slices into rings. Dip rings into seasoned flour. Shaking off excess flour, dip onion rings into the prepared batter.
- In a deep fryer or large heavy bottomed pot, heat 2-3 inches of oil to 375 degrees. Working in batches, fry onions for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and immediately sprinkle with additional salt.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in a preheated 250-degree oven until ready to serve.
- For Buffalo Blue Cheese Veggie Burgers: Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat and oil grill grates. Grill frozen MorningStar® Farms Meat Lovers Burgers for 2-3 minutes per side or until burgers reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Place grilled burger patties on buns. Top burger patties with 1-2 tablespoons buffalo hot sauce, 1-2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles and 3-4 fried onion rings. Serve immediately with additional crispy fried onion rings on the side.
Looking to host your own burger bar? The MorningStar® Farms Burger Bar Truck will be driving around to visit Walmart stores around the country, click above to see if they are coming to a Walmart near you! And you can stock up on the new quarter pound MorningStar® Farms Meat Lovers Burgers, 4ct Value Pack and MorningStar® Farms Veggie Lovers Burgers, 4ct Value Pack and other MorningStar® Farms products on the frozen food aisle of your local Walmart. For more vegan and vegetarian burger recipes and football food ideas, click here or follow MorningStar Farms® on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube!