Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #AD #ScrubbingPower #CollectiveBias
Got a late night craving for a sweet treat? Whip up this easy Blackberry Cobbler in a Mug in less than 5 minutes! Plus check out a speedy microwave cleaning hack and make clean up a breeze!
How in the heck is it August 1st? No seriously! This summer has blown by and I am sadden to already see school supply displays and plastic pumpkins creeping into stores. And who am I kidding, I’m sure these displays have been in stores for at least a month already, but I was just choosing to ignore them.
While fall is a magical time of year and usually my favorite, this summer has gone by too fast! We have been so busy and done lots of summery things but I am still longing for more lazy days by the pool, need more casual backyard barbecues with friends and I am totally not in the mood for apple and pumpkin EVERYTHING just yet. In fact, I am stocking up on all the corn, summer squash, peaches, cherries and berries and eating as much as humanly possible!
Another summer fave… all those sweet summertime desserts- ice cream, grilled peaches and icebox pies! One dessert that screams “summer nights sittin’ on the back porch with loved ones watchin’ the sun go down” is cobbler. Cobbler, using those flavorful summer berries or juicy peaches, topped with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream is so southern, so summery and so comforting.
I will never deny that I have a bit of a sweet tooth. And while some may say that is bad, I believe in all things in moderation. I feel like when I try to deny my sweet tooth craving, that it is only intensified. So I enjoy a small treat or small bite of something sweet at the end of the day.
Some dessert recipes are easy to halve and or freeze, for portion control and not to go to waste, but others are not that easy. That’s why I was happy to discover “mug cakes” several years ago. They significantly reduce recipes to serve 1-2 people and are cooked in the microwave, so they are super easy to whip up and can be enjoyed in less than five minutes!
Not only are mug cakes convenient for portion control, when you just want a small bite of something sweet, but is time saving so that I can enjoy more of my current love: summer!
This Blackberry Cobbler in a Mug has been on repeat all summer long. It is a reduced version of my go to blackberry cobbler recipe, so it serves 1 instead of 6-8, and since it is cooked in the microwave, I can enjoy this summertime treat in less that 5 minutes, from start to finish, instead of 60!
This mug cake recipe is great on it’s own, or if you want something extra special, top it with vanilla bean ice cream! And if you are looking for more ideas on how to savor the last few weeks of summer, check out my cleaning hack below! Saving time in the kitchen means more time for summer fun! 😉
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (if desired)
- Place blackberries in a large microwave safe mug and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over blackberries; set aside.
- Meanwhile, place butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 15-20 seconds, or until melted. Add flour, the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, baking powder and milk to the melted butter. Whisk until fully combined.
- Pour batter over blackberries in mug and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until cobbler has puffed up and is cooked through. Serve warm topped with ice cream, if desired.
One kitchen mess that is often a dread to clean is the microwave. It seems like it is always getting dirty and has food splattered all over it. To get it cleaned quickly, using common pantry ingredients and the Scotch-Brite® Scrubbing Dish Cloth, check out the tutorial below!
Microwave Cleaning Hack:
Small microwave-safe bowl or glass liquid measuring cup
½ cup water
½ cup distilled vinegar
1 Scotch-Brite® Scrubbing Dish Cloth
1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir together water and vinegar.
2. Place bowl in microwave, and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until liquid is boiling.
3. Let vinegar mixture sit in the closed microwave for 5-8 minutes.
4. After 5-8 minutes, remove bowl from microwave and use the Scotch-Brite® Scrubbing Dish Cloth to wipe the turntable, microwave door and inside of the microwave clean.
Note: For hard, stuck on food; dip the dish cloth in the warm vinegar water and scrub clean.
Stop by your local Kroger and stock up on the new Scotch-Brite® Scrubbing Dish Cloths (found on the cleaning aisle near the brooms and mops). Take advantage of the current offer of $1 off a 1 pack and $1.50 off a 2 pack of the Scotch-Brite® Scrubbing Dish Cloths (normally $2.99 for a 1-pack and $5.49 for the 2-pack) available in store on clips strips with the product display.
And for more delicious recipes and time saving kitchen cleaning hacks, click here or follow Scotch-Brite® on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram!