Cheers to the weekend with this refreshing seasonal grapefruit cocktail recipe, and my personal favorite drink, a Grapefruit Sage Spritzer!
It’s safe to say I’m ready for the weekend!
If you are like me, and ready to do nothing but sit on a patio and enjoy the cool spring breeze with a drink in your hand, then you’ve come to the right place! Today I’m sharing my all-time favorite and go to cocktail, a Grapefruit Sage Spritzer.
I first had a similar grapefruit cocktail many years ago at one of my favorite local Austin restaurants, Jack Allen’s Kitchen, and have been in love with it ever since! In fact, I think this cocktail is what made me really start liking grapefruit, as this drink is super light and refreshing, and not tart and bitter, what grapefruit can sometimes be known for.
And since discovering this drink, I’ve actually seen several variations of it on many other restaurant and bar menus. Some variations use basil, rosemary or mint instead of sage.
Other versions of this drink feature rum or gin instead of vodka and some leave out the elderflower liqueur and use sparkling wine instead of club soda. Many variations also use a simple syrup in their concoction, but I don’t think that’s necessary.
The recipe and version I’m sharing today, this Grapefruit Sage Spritzer, is my absolute favorite flavor combination; with the earthy sage going so well with the florally elderflower liqueur and the fresh grapefruit juice is light and only mildly tart.
Just thinking about it makes I mouth water! Too bad I have a full day of work ahead of me, so I can’t quite get my weekend started just yet, but you better believe that this weekend will be all about some much-needed R&R!
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
- ½ ounce St. Germain elderflower liqueur
- 3 ounces fresh or bottled grapefruit juice
- 1-2 sprigs fresh sage,, plus more for garnishing
- 2 ounces club soda or sparkling mineral water
- ice,, as needed
- fresh grapefruit segments or wedges,, if desired for garnishing
- Fill a cocktail shaker about half full with ice, vodka, St. Germain, grapefruit juice and 1-2 springs of fresh sage. Shake well and strain over a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Top with club soda and serve with an additional 1-2 sprigs of fresh sage and fresh grapefruit wedges, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you like this Grapefruit Sage Spritzer recipe, then you’ll love these other cocktail recipes:
Blueberry Lime Mimosas