Disclosure: This M&M’s Cookie Recipe contains affiliate tracking links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn referral fees by linking to Amazon.com and other affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for an easy, no fail cookie recipe? This is the Best M&M’s Cookie Recipe and it is the number one request for me to bring to any get together!
Happy November, friends! I don’t know what happened to the month of October, but here we are, another holiday has come and gone and it is the start of a fresh, new month!
I love this time of year for all of the traditions and celebrations, but sometimes it can be overwhelming to say the least. And while I can be tempted to want to make all the things and try a million new recipes, sometimes I need to take a step back and just make those tried and true, never fail recipes. Ya know?
This easy M&M cookie recipe is one of those recipes. I’ve made a lot of cookies in my day, and I can guarantee that this is truly is the Best M&M’s Cookie Recipe out there!
The Best M&M’s Cookie Recipe
I whip up these homemade M&M cookies for almost every get together with friends or whenever I get that intense cookie craving. Since I always show up with these in hand whenever a special occasion – or random everyday occasion, for that matter – arises, my friends jump with joy and then ask if this M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is on my site.
For awhile I said no, thinking that I had never shared it, but recently I realized that I shared my go to homemade M&M cookies in the first couple of years of this blog. Only then, I shared how to make M&M’s Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches and decided just the cookie recipe finally needs a post all on its own!
So here it is in all it’s glory! The Best M&M’s Cookie Recipe in the land!
Helpful M&M’s Cookie recipe baking tips and information:
What are the ingredients for the Best M&M’s Cookie Recipe?
This recipe for the Best M&M cookies starts with your typical cookie ingredients – unsalted butter, brown sugar, granulated white sugar, unbleached all-purpose flour, eggs, baking soda and salt. But then you add the following ingredients to make them the best M&M cookies ever:
- Pure vanilla extract – I always use pure vanilla extract, not vanilla flavoring. Yes, the real stuff is more expensive, but you can definitely taste the difference. This M&M cookie recipe also calls for a full 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
- Dry vanilla pudding mix – The dry pudding mix called for in this cookie recipe helps produce that ideal soft and chewy homemade M&M’s cookie. This is the secret ingredient in several of my favorite cookie recipes including my Snickerdoodle Pudding Cookies.
- Mini M&M’s chocolate candies – You can certainly use full size M&M’s candies in this recipe, but I like using the mini version because I think they disperse more evenly in the cookie dough and you get more M&M’s per bite.
- Milk chocolate chips – So yes, these are technically M and M chocolate chip cookies, since I add in milk chocolate chips. But the addition of the milk chocolate chips makes this M&M Cookie recipe the best and more like those you find in a bakery. You could substitute the milk chocolate chips with either semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips or even additional M&M’s candies, if you prefer, but for this particular cookie, I think the milk chocolate chips gives it the best flavor.
How to make M&M Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, dry pudding mix, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Fold in 1 cup mini M&M’s Chocolate Candies and milk chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet.
- Press 4-5 of the remaining M&M’s on top of each cookie.
- Bake cookies in a preheated 350-degree oven for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Can homemade M&M Cookies be frozen?
Yes, these homemade M&M Cookies can be frozen as is after baking or you can freeze the cookie dough and bake later.
How to freeze M&M Cookie dough:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or waxed paper. Using a cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough onto baking sheet, leaving about ½-inch space in between each ball of dough.
Place cookie sheet in freezer and freeze until solid, about 4-6 hours.
Once balls of cookie dough are frozen solid, transfer to a freezer safe zip top baggie and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place frozen balls of cookie dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and set in the middle. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to freeze baked M&M cookies:
Place baked M&M cookies in a freezer safe zip top baggie or plastic food storage container and freeze for about 3 months. Thaw cookies at room temperature for 1-2 hours or by microwaving for 30-45 seconds.
Other popular cookie recipes:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups mini M&M's Chocolate Candies
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with
a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and both sugars on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, dry pudding mix, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture, a little at a time, to the butter mixture, mixing just until combined. Carefully, fold in 1 cup mini M&M's Chocolate Candies and milk chocolate chips.
- Using a standard size cookie scoop, drop dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Press 4-5 of the remaining M&M's on top of each cookie.
- Bake cookies on the middle rack in a preheated 350-degree oven for 8 to 9 minutes, or until lightly browned and set in the middle. Do not over bake! Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.