Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SandwichWithTheBest #CollectiveBias
Don’t get stuck in the same old lunchtime routine! These Ham and Kale Coleslaw Sandwiches are a simple yet satisfying way to change up your daily lunchtime sandwich!
For weeks now, I’ve been going on and on about spring, but I just can’t help it! I absolutely love this time of year and even though Texas has very mild winters compared to the rest of the world, I soak up every moment of the spring time weather because I know that soon, it will be way too hot to enjoy the outdoors.
The past few weeks have been filled with random Sunday afternoon road trips, sunset patio dinners, evening walks, backyard barbecues, hiking and taking lots of pictures of the beautiful Texas wildflowers. This time of year is also very busy, as we get to enjoy many springtime activities like spring break, outdoor concerts and local fairs and festivals.
Since we are soaking up as much spring as possible, I have been looking to simple recipes and meal ideas to get us through the week. Not only do I want to spend less time in the kitchen right now cooking and preparing dinner, since we are embracing all that spring has to offer, I’m trying to plan more meals that are not only quick and easy to prepare, but can be taken with us as we head out the door.
That is why sandwiches have become a staple for us the past few weeks. We have relied on them for dinner when we have gotten home late after a long day at work or being out and about. And with the picture-perfect weather we’ve been having, we have turned to sack lunches and dinners to take with us and eat picnic style, while being out and enjoying the beautiful scenery around us.
In an effort to not get burnt out on sack lunches and sandwiches, I’ve been playing around with different sandwich combinations and side dish options. Our current favorite are these Ham and Kale Coleslaw Sandwiches. For me, a good sandwich is not only about the flavor combinations, but about the quality of ingredients that make up this simple and humble entrée.
I start with a fresh, nutty whole grain bread, like Pepperidge Farm® German Dark Wheat Bread, and add a thin layer of Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise (made using simple ingredients and cage-free eggs) and then top it off with thinly sliced lunch meat, like Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham, and fresh vegetables, like the kale slaw I use in this recipe. In addition to being the perfect light and on the go meal for this time of year, sandwiches are affordable and convenient as I can get all of our favorite sandwich ingredients while doing our weekly grocery shopping at Walmart.
With several more weeks of gorgeous spring weather in our forecast, I know sandwiches, for both lunch and dinner will be the norm around here. This Ham and Kale Coleslaw Sandwich recipe is already a favorite and I can’t wait to try more flavor combinations and sandwich concoctions as we celebrate spring!
Don’t get stuck in the same old lunchtime routine! These Ham and Kale Coleslaw Sandwiches are a simple yet satisfying way to change up your daily lunch!
- 1 (10-ounce) bag kale slaw/chopped salad mix
- ¼ cup Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise, plus more for serving
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper, optional
- 8 slices Pepperidge Farm® German Dark Wheat Bread
- 1 (9-ounce) tub Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham lunch meat
- Pour kale slaw mix into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt and pepper (if using) to form coleslaw dressing. Pour dressing over coleslaw mix and toss to combine.
- Toast bread, if desired, and squeeze a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Spread mayonnaise with knife to cover entire slice of bread.
- Divide ham evenly and top four slices of bread with ham. Evenly divide prepared kale slaw and top ham with slaw. Top slaw with remaining slices of bread and serve immediately.
If you love sandwiches as much as we do, then you have to try these Ham and Kale Coleslaw Sandwiches. Stock up on all your favorite sandwich ingredients at Walmart and click here for more sandwich recipes and inspiration!