This post about 17 Comforting Soup Recipes contains affiliate/referral links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Need an easy, family friendly dinner for a cold winter day? Look no further than these 17 Comforting Soup Recipes!
Scroll down to click to view all the Comforting Soup Recipes or PIN IT for later!
We are in the thick of winter and I can’t think of a more perfect meal than a comforting bowl of soup!
I love soup for dinner during the cold winter months because it is a great make ahead meal and there are usually leftovers so I can cook once and eat twice!
Over the years we have shared many, MANY soup recipes here on Kitchen Concoctions and today, I’m sharing some of our all-time favorite soup recipes, plus some soup making tips and tricks to get you through these lingering winter days!
What side dishes go with soup?
There are a lot of side dishes that pair well with soup, especially depending on what type of soup you are serving. Soup, salad and breadsticks are a famous combination, but here are some of my favorite soup side dishes:
Salad: You could certainly pick up a prepared salad mix at the grocery store, but we have a TON of salad recipes here on Kitchen Concoctions. Some of my favorite salad recipes that pair well with hearty winter and fall soups are:
- Winter Panzanella Salad (pictured above) – This Winter Panzanella Salad recipe, made with homemade croutons, roasted winter vegetables and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette is a fancy, yet approachable side dish.
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad – This Copycat Olive Garden Salad recipe maybe inspired by the popular restaurant chain, but is packed with fresh flavors and ingredients, making it better!
- Pear and Pomegranate Salad – This light and refreshing Pear and Pomegranate Salad with Maple Vinaigrette is super festive and a favorite fall salad!
- Kale Cesar Salad – A sophisticated twist on a classic side salad.
Bread: My favorite side dish for soup is some sort of bread, either store bought dinner rolls, frozen biscuits or some homemade bread; nothing goes better with soup than hot, buttery bread! Below are some of my favorite homemade bread recipes:
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread (pictured above) – This Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread recipe is full of flavor and would be perfect paired with brisket, chili or stew!
- Homemade Garlic Bread – A homemade seasoning blend to create the perfect loaf of crispy garlic bread!
- Cheddar Herb Biscuits – Hands down, this is my favorite homemade biscuit recipe! These Cheddar Herb Biscuits are SO easy to whip up and go with just about any soup, stew or chili!
Sandwiches: Of course, a grilled cheese sandwich is another perfect pairing for soup, but if you want to take that sandwich up a notch, try one of these recipes:
- Ham and Kale Coleslaw Sandwiches – Don’t get stuck in the same old lunchtime routine! These Ham and Kale Coleslaw Sandwiches are a simple yet satisfying way to change up your daily lunch!
- Spicy Southwestern Turkey Panini – This Spicy Southwestern Turkey Panini recipe, paired with some potato chips, pickles or some fresh fruit, is a hearty and satisfying lunch or dinner!
- Pepperoni Pizza Panini (pictured above) – All the classic pepperoni pizza flavors sandwiched between good Italian bread with all the fixin’s of a tasty slice of pizza.
Other simple soup side dishes:
- Cheese quesadillas
Recommended Tools to Make A Perfect Pot of Soup:
High Power Blender: If you are making a creamy soup and need to blend it, I personally use a standard high power countertop blender like this one. However, you could also use a handheld emulsion blender.
6-to-8-quart Slow Cooker: One of the many things we love about soups is that many soup recipes are made in the slow cooker! Personally, I think a slow cooker is an invaluable kitchen utensil for many dishes, but is essential for soup.
Cast Iron Dutch Oven: If I’m not cooking my soup in the slow cooker, my cast iron dutch oven is perfect for making a large pot of soup!
Soup Ladle with Long Handle: Of course a soup ladle is essential for serving soup, and I really like this one with a long handle!
Freezer Safe Glass Food Storage Containers: Soup is a great freezer meal as most soup recipes (typically those without cream) freeze really well. However, you need to make sure you use freezer safe containers and I highly recommend using freezer safe glass containers with locking lids.
Without further ado, below are our most favorite hearty and comforting soup recipes that are sure to warm you up on a cold winter day!